News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Converting a Bachman GP40 from DCC to DC

Started by jerryrgs, December 17, 2013, 06:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryrgs

Two questions.

How do I convert a Bachmann GP 40 DCC equipped locomotive to DC?
I plan on using it on a display layout at our local library that is DC.

And how do I get the shell off the frame.

Item #: 60302

Jerry

richg

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,24271.0.html

Does not appear to be an eight pin socket for a DC adapter according to the diagram page.
Right now I think it would have to be re-wired.

Bachmann DCC locos will run on DC.You will have to turn the power pack up a little higher than with a DC only loco.

Rich

jerryrgs

I had just found a post that tells how to get the shell off. It would have been simple if they shown it on the diagram.

I was afraid I would have to hard wire the locomotive to run on DC. I don't want to leave the decoder in the engine even
though Bachmann says it will run with DC. It does not do as well as a regular DC engine.

richg

Quote from: jerryrgs on December 17, 2013, 07:18:39 PM
I had just found a post that tells how to get the shell off. It would have been simple if they shown it on the diagram.

I was afraid I would have to hard wire the locomotive to run on DC. I don't want to leave the decoder in the engine even
though Bachmann says it will run with DC. It does not do as well as a regular DC engine.

[/quote

Glad you got it.
Very easy. Look at the diagram. You can see the tabs on the fuel tank. Then you can see the screws.
First time I answered someone, I was in a hurry and never took time to research it carefully. I thought is was just remove the couplers.
Bachmann can only put a certain amount of info on a diagram sheet or some would want to know how to do a lot more things. Preparing documentation is not as cheap as many think it is.

Rich

jward

the easiest way to convert to dc would be to remove the decoder. the dcc wiring standard shows red and black wires from the wheel pickups to the decoder, orange and grey wires from the motor to the decoder. by desoldering and removing the decoder, you can connect the red and black wires directly to the orange and grey wires. twist the wires together in pairs and try your locomotive. if it moves the opposite direction from the way it should, swap the connections between the track and motor leads.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA