News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hiway striping

Started by Bill Baker, February 01, 2013, 03:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Baker

I'm in the process of making a two lane, asphalt colored, highway for my layout.  I model from the 40s to the 50s or the transition period.  I can't recall the proper lane colors used during this time span.  Was the center line solid white or broken? Also did the use yellow "no passings" lanes at that time?  Thanks to all.

Bill
Bill

RAM

As I remember it was white.  stop signs were yellow.

Doneldon

Bill-

Center lines on 1940-1950s highways were broken white lines on two-lane roads with solid white lines separating the two directions of travel on wider roads. I cannot recall seeing any yellow no passing lines though there may have been some states which used them. Some states may have had yellow dividing lines, too, but I don't remember seeing any. And my family did a good deal of long-distance car travel in the 50s so I think I'd have seen yellow lines if very many states used them.

Stop signs were yellow until about World War Two. I can only remember seeing a few in out-of-the-way places.

-- D

Bill Baker

Thanks RAM and DON.  White it is!  I thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure.
Bill