Canadian National GS-4 & Madison Passenger cars.

Started by coolwaldo, January 22, 2013, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolwaldo

Good morning everyone: I ordered a Williams Canadian National GS-4 and the CN Madison passenger cars from Trainland the other day. Seemed like a good price. Has anyone got them ? I'm looking forward to getting them. Would like to know what other owners think of them.  Thanks coolwaldo

Be happy. Play with your trains.

M1FredQ

I have ordered madison passenger cars from Trainworld. They are impressive and nicely well done.

My favorite are the Blue Comet

phillyreading

Right now Trainworld is having a super sale on Williams items in stock, some diesel engine pairs as low as $149.99, passenger cars also(don't know prices).

Lee F.

Hi coolwaldo,

671 here. I think you mean the J 4-8-4 Streamlined steamer. If so, I just purchased and have in hand a J 4-8-4 B&O Royal Blue Steamer. Same loco different paint job. I have several WbyB Steamers and Diesels. Here are my observations and opinions on this loco.

1.        The smoke unit that came with my loco is under performing. I will need to contact Williams and have a replacement sent. ( This happens time to time with their Seuthe smoke units ).

2.        The loco has a very efficient motor, causing the loco to run at a high speed at low voltage settings. I correct this by using the Joe Satnik method of reducing voltage going to the motor. Rectifier diodes in series with the motor power wires. I use the Dallee wiring diagram found on their web site. I use One 8 amp bridge rectifier along with two 6 amp rectifier diodes. The performance of the loco is greatly enhanced. Creeping speed to too fast. Better Blast II performance due to the higher track voltage. Brighter lighting in passenger cars.

3.         I " Broke in " my Loco, well before pulling cars. Oil and grease as in the instructions.  1 1/2 hour run without cars at all reasonable speeds, checking motor temperature every 10 minutes for overheating. The loco is a 'smooooth' runner and good puller. I like it.

4.         The Madison cars are nice. Lubricate them as well. Use a noncarbonizing oil on the rollers. The wrong oil will cause the rollers not to turn, this will ruin them.

5.          I changed the headlamp bulb from a 10 volt bulb to a 6 volt bulb. I liked it brighter. It is being powered by the smoker/light board at 7.9 volts. This will shorten the life of the bulb, but that is OK.

I hope you caught the sale at Trainland...Loco $199.99 Madison 4 car set @ $99.99

Enjoy...671

coolwaldo

Hi 671. I made a typo about the J. Thanks for the feedback. Now to find the narrow traction tires for the old Williams Berkshire. I did get them from Trainworld/Trainland. Later coolwaldo
Be happy. Play with your trains.

tsched

I did take a look at Trainworld's sale online.  Those steamers are actually all listed as GS-4s.  Guessing they had that in their mind when thinking about the Southern Pacific.  The rest are the J's.

M1FredQ

The sale at Trainworld is attracting a lot of attention and they are now out of stock

on a bunch of items. I sat on the fence too long and missed out on the Pennsylvania Madison Cars which are spectacular!!!!!!

I have the Southern and Baltimore and Ohio and they are beautiful!!!!

I also found all 6 of the 72foot Blue Comet Madison's while at a conference down in Florida and those Wow'ed me.

You can't beat Trainworld's prices not even e-bay comes close. Don't delay like I did.

As of now I have the NYC and the Aluminum ACL Passenger cars coming I can post when i receive them. The more I learn about Bachmann and get their products the more impressed I become. Yea there are minor issues like brightness of bulbs or smoke or sound systems BUT they are focused on improving these issues and want to make it so guys like me can just "plug" something in or out.
Joe and others are a GREAT help on this forum and I have "borrowed" some of their ideas and suggestions. I admire guys like that who tackle details like the ones they post about to help guys like me who gets excited to get things hooked up right and run the trains without blowing up the house!!!

M1FredQ

Check out my post on 2013 Passenger cars for the review of the NYC Madison Passenger cars..

Bottom Line they are great and I recommend you grab a set from Trainworld while they are on closeout at Trainworld. They are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!