News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA light 2-10-2

Started by SteamGene, August 17, 2007, 12:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

This is a quesiton for anybody with a Specturm 2-10-2.  How does the power get to the decoder/motor - through wipers or directly from the wheels? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jay

Gene,

I read this review on the engine and they are stating that all the wheels pick up the electricity.  http://www.hubhobbyshop.com/review135.htm
But I am not sure if that is answering your question.
Jay Johnson
The Roundhouse
www.trainweb.org/theroundhouse

SteamGene

Thanks Jay.  That does not explain why I'm getting no power at all.  Not even the headlight or the firebox. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Gene;
I have the same problem with one of mine; I believe it is the decoder, and I will tell you why;
I isolated the female portions of the plugs and tested them for continuity; left wheels OK; right wheels OK; these are to the two-conductor plug.  Next, I located the motor leads, disconnected them from the little board under the cab, and checked the motor; foward OK; reverse OK; then found the light leads, trial and error found me the cathode lead, soldered a resistor to it (I am changing it over to Tsunami anyway) and put power to it; OK.
Now, as an extra added, I took the male plugs, connected them, disconnected the load ends and checked the circuits now; same results.  Has to be the decoder.
All systems work as they should by bypassing the decoder.  That leaves the decoder.  This, by the way, is the one lemon I have.  If I had no trouble with any engine, this one makes up for the rest!  I am now getting ready to ship motor, mounting, gears, gear case, and helix back to Bachmann, and see what they can offer me.

Rich

PS; what is the number ( either one) for Bachmann service?  I misplaced the ONE sheet I saved.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

r.cprmier

BTW Gene;
If you look at the inside sorfaces of the drivers, you will find fairly small phosphor bronze brushes.  Incidentally, if you take the bottom cover off, take special care not to distort these brushes. They are very delicate, and can be marred easily.  This engine does indeed pick up power from eight drivers.

Rich
Rich

SteamGene

Telephone: 215-533-1600

For Service Inquiries
E-mail: Click on the "Service" link to be directed to our convenient service form
Telephone: 800-356-3910 (toll free; US and Canada residents only.)

Rich, I looked at the wheels and can not see any wipers.  OTOH, I can try changing the decoder and see if it works now.   I've made it a habit to NOT dissassemble most Spectrum locomotives.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

Rich,
That was exactly what it was - a bum decoder.  I removed it, put a shorter plug off a USRA light Mountain in its place and it runs like a top on DC. 
Does your curcuit board have four capacitors?  Did you cut all four for a non-Bachmann decoder?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Gene;
I don't even go near those boards.  There is nothing I need on them, and they just take up unneccessary space.  I cannot speak for any other decoder, but the Tsunami does not need that as an interface.  Now there is more room to stow the decoder, and provide some manner of porting for the speaker.  In terms of quality, I am so impressed with Soundtraxx Tsunami that I am doing everything that had no-sound speakers to these.

They have a really nice rendition of an Alco with Nathan chimes, which I have found ion no other decoder to the quality tsunami has.

RIch
Rich

r.cprmier

If you take that bottom plate off without realizng they are there, you will find them in one hell of a hurry-  The hard way!

These are not the usual fare, but very small, and extend from above the wheels, where the header is mounted.  Look really good-take a small light if need be.  They look like small ET fingers.
Rich
Rich