News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Aux. Water Tender

Started by lirrman, January 18, 2012, 12:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirrman

Just received the black aux. water tender.  I was surprised at the small size.  I was expecting the same size as the original aux. water tender produced to match the "J".  That tender was about the same size as the "J's" coal tender.  The black tender is considerably smaller.  Are both of these tenders accurate as far as scale is concerned.?

lirrman

to richg:
Yes, that is the one I bought.
LIRRMAN

richg

Small compared to what tender? Show a picture of the loco/tender you have.
I have photos of a N&W 4-8-4J with water tender and they look nearly the same frrom what I can see in the photos.

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/bachmannhoscalelocomotives/id47.html

Rich

lirrman

Rich:
Compared to the "original" "J" Aux Water Tender.  I'll photo them both and as soon as I figure out how to post photos on this forum I'll send them along.
LIRRMAN

richg

Is the loco a N&W loco?
If a B&O loco, what loco did they run behind?

Rich

Jerrys HO

lirrman

you need a photobucket account to upload pics.

Jerry

richg

Go to:

http://photobucket.com/

Get a free account.
Figure out what you might want for albums. This can be addictive. It is easy to lose track of where photos are.
If the photo does not look good in Photo Bucket, delete it and up load until you have what looks good.
Same when you post a photo to Bachmann forums or any other forum. Don't like it, delete the photo by selecting the Modify option in the forums.

There ar four options in Photo Bucket for selecting the photo to post. Use the fourth option,  It is IMG code.

When you click on that option, you will see the word, Copied. Paste the selection into the forum.
I do this by having two Browsers opened. A little practice is all that is needed. It is easy to Modify the message if the photo does not look correct.
So easy, a Cave Man can do it.

Rich

NWsteam

QuoteJust received the black aux. water tender.  I was surprised at the small size.  I was expecting the same size as the original aux. water tender produced to match the "J".  That tender was about the same size as the "J's" coal tender.  The black tender is considerably smaller.  Are both of these tenders accurate as far as scale is concerned.?

The quick and dirty answer is yes. Its called an auxiliary tender for a reason...It only hauled extra water, not coal and water like a regular tender. The Bachmann model is based on the N&W prototype but Bachmann lettered it for multiple roads. I don't know what you were expecting, but it's correct. Hope this helps!

-Brad

lirrman

Brad:
No kidding!  The aux. water tender was made to haul water - who knew.  I know what it was for.  My question, if you read the entire string,  was why the new one (the black freight one) was 3/4 of an inch shorter than the one Bachmann made to match the "J" and if one, both or neither are to scale.   The new one is factory lettered for the N&W. 

NWsteam

Ah, forgive for misinterpreting your question. You should post a picture of the two side by side. I thought you ment the tender conected to the J and the aux.

hawaiiho

Quote from: lirrman on January 19, 2012, 01:09:47 PM
Brad:
No kidding!  The aux. water tender was made to haul water - who knew.  I know what it was for.  My question, if you read the entire string,  was why the new one (the black freight one) was 3/4 of an inch shorter than the one Bachmann made to match the "J" and if one, both or neither are to scale.   The new one is factory lettered for the N&W. 

I don't know why the new tender(canteen car) is 3/4 inch shorter than the other water tender produced by Bachmann, BUT, I do know that there were different sizes of water tenders used by several different railroads. They ranged in size from around 15,000 gallon tanks to something around 22,000 gallons. I believe N & W operated several different size water tenders. It could be that Bachmann used more than one prototype for their water tenders.

Maybe, The Bach-man can answer that question.

lirrman

I got out my trusty scale rule.  The new black water tender is 39' and my "J" water tender is 45' (excluding couplers). As hawaiiho pointed out, N&W used various size water tenders so both could be accurate.  I'm sure the Bach-Mann could tell us which prototype was used for each model.  Thanks to all.
LIRRMAN

RAM

Just a thought, but where did the Aux. tender that was used behind the J on the fan trips come from.  My guess would be that all of the N&W Aux Tenders would have been cut up.  So it may be one of a kind.  For the black one they may have used the plans for the N&W original tender.

nfmisso

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I can answer the questions.

* The Spectrum A-Tank matches the A-tanks N&W made in the early 1950s for use behind many A and Y class locomotives.

* The older Bachmann auxiliary tender matches the A-tanks NS made to go with 611 and 1218 for excursion service, which were made from L&N tenders.  These were much larger than the A-tanks used in the 1950s.

Nigel