News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale DCC Turnouts?

Started by trackman23, January 10, 2012, 03:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackman23

I'm looking to build an n scale dcc layout and wanted to know if there are dcc turnouts in ez track for n scale?  I've searched and have only been able to find them for ho scale.

the Bach-man

Dear Trackman,
The N Scale turnouts do not have DCC as yet.
Enjoy your trains!
the Bach-man

Aflac

I see that crossovers and wyes are DCC friendly. Is there any time frame for the DCC friendly turnouts being released?

ED209

I'm new to N scale and currently running a Bachmann 2-8-0 (which runs awesome!) on EZ track with the Dynamis system.  Works great so far.  I'm looking to expand my figure 8 track and was trying to add more lines and a turnout and crossovers.  I agree with the original post, I would like to see a DCC controllable turnout and DCC controllable crossover.  From what I understand it's available in HO scale but not in N.  Would be nice to know if Bachmann has a ETA on this.

Thanks!

eddie3

Makes this new n scale trainman wonder about what is going on with these turnouts .... Some good reading and points are brought up on page 2 here under the title.."are turnouts power routing or not "
I know for fact the older turnouts packaged in blue are power routing and the new ones in yellow are not... Power goes to both sides of the switch .... Would this not be dcc compatable ? The only thing I see that is not recommended with the new style  switch( in yellow package) would be not to power the frog per instructions ....

eddie3

On my above post I see this is a post from a year ago  and I think all has changed since then .... Can this be comfirmed for others ?

ED209

I installed the #6 right hand turnout (part#44860) and it works fine on my DCC setup.  I'm using N scale EZ track with the Dynamis controller.  It was in the yellow packaging. 
I can verify that power goes to both sides of the track regardless if I switch it back and forth using the little black manual lever.  I didn't hook up any of the wires so for now I'm manually operating the lever.  I'd like to be able to control this turnout from my Dynamis.  I started searching online and see that Digitrax has a DS52 and DS64 stationary decoder that supposed to allow you to operate turnouts via DCC controller.   I think this might be a good alternative if Bachmann doesn't offer direct DCC controllable turnouts.  Has anyone tried the DS64?

lesklar

I am new here and new to model railroading, but I have decided to use EZ track for my layout. After investing in several crossovers and turnouts, I discovered that the little black boxes get to be rather tedious to use. I am still using DC but am working to convert to DCC. Here is what I am doing to the switch controllers to make them DCC controlled (I am going to take some video and post on Youtube).
1) I take the control box apart and desolder the slide switch. Use care to not damage circuit or solder pads.
2) Solder in wires in place of the switch. It appears that the switch is a DPDT switch so I am putting six labeled and color coded wires onto the circuit.
3) I put the wires out through the switch hole and reassemble the black box. This is done so that I can use the connectors supplied (green wire going to the switch and red going to the AC accessories transformer).
4) Then I wire a DPDT relay to the wires that are labeled and color coded. Make sure you mark each side of the replaced switch and understand what is the common (center) wire.
Now with a relay you can use a DCC controlled relay module to control the switch.
I have left out a lot of detail as this would get very long so watch for an upcoming youtube video!