I want to ask the Bach-man --

Started by edpb, February 07, 2013, 11:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edpb

I have a new HO Alco S4 DCC SoundValue OnBoard NYC P&LE.  The shell color is dark green, the handrails are yellow plastic and the stanchions were painted dark green over the yellow, at least I assume they were.  The stanchions on my S4 have lost about half of their green paint - on one side the stanchions are mostly half yellow and half green.  The other side is not quite that bad, but does have green paint missing.

Most of the stanchions seem to be glued to the shell, so I don't know if I can just replace those parts.  Should I return the whole loco?  I'm asking that because when I try to remove a shell I almost always break something.

Ed Berners
in South Bend, IN

the Bach-man

Dear Ed,
Check your local hobby shops for Modelflex paint. It will be easy to touch up the handrails yourself.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

M1FredQ

Just a helpful hint I learned from my model airplane building days; when you get the paint use a "dry brush" technique to apply the paint.  When it all dries it will almost blend in but will have a bit of weather/aged look which is realistic.

I used it on the yellow nose of a WBB Black/red Santa Fe F-3 and it looks good

knightLee

can I run bachmann Trains on LGB brass track and do I need any special transformer to run them on LGB track.
Thanks

JerryB

Quote from: knightLee on February 09, 2013, 12:28:00 PM
can I run bachmann Trains on LGB brass track and do I need any special transformer to run them on LGB track.
Thanks

The simple answers are "Yes" and "No."

Bachmann large scale trains, like LGB large scale trains, run on DC (Direct Current) and require a power supply that puts out DC. A "transformer" puts out AC (Alternating Current) that will destroy the motor.

Since you asked about LGB power, I assume you have a variable DC power supply rather than a transformer, as that is what LGB uses. That will work fine.

Note that I am totally ignoring DCC (Digital Command Control) which is a different power and control system that is rapidly becoming the standard method of running model trains.

As an aside, you really should start a new thread to ask a new question. Putting your track compatibility and electrical power question at the end of a thread about paint will not get the best responses.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

edpb

Dear Bach-man,

I checked the Modelflex color chart and there is no P&LE green.  I'm not too optimistic about the prospect of trying CNW green, then NP green, then BNSF green, etc., trying to get a match.  Do you know where Bachmann gets P&LE green for these locos?

It's disappointing that it's up to me to make my brand new S4 look like I expected it to look out of the box.

Ed Berners

the Bach-man

Dear Ed,
The paint is mixed at the factory. I'll see if I can find a match.
Thanks!
the Bach-man