News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler style and height

Started by lesklar, February 07, 2013, 12:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lesklar

I have the 'Thunder Valley' starter set and a whole bunch of extra track that I have laid out with crossovers, switches, tunnels, bridge, and 4% grade. Everything in the set works well and I only had to fix one of the turn-outs (seems that the factory put an extra loose screw in the mechanism and was shorting out the frog).
Now I am shopping for more cars and got another Bachmann engine (F7 A unit). I got a box car on ebay and went to use it and found that the coupler does not work with the cars in this set. It appears like the couplers should work, but they seem to be at differing heights. The other loco seems to be compatible, but even these couplers seem to be different. I thought Rapido couplers were Rapido couplers??? Is there multiple styles? Would it be worthwhile to switch all rolling stock to some kind of magnetic knuckles? Is the EZ-Mate MarkII any good?

Desertdweller

lesklar,

The Rapido couplers originated by Rapido in the 1960's, but in the interests of standardization, Rapido did not patent the design, but made it available to all N-scale manufacturers.  They soon became the international industry standard for N-scale.

They worked better than the standardized horn-hook couplers did in HO scale, but like the horn-hooks, had their limitations.  A major problem, also shared by HO horn-hooks is that different manufacturers used different springing systems and made the couplers from different materials.  Worse, different manufacturers used different standards for mounting heights.  So often they will not work with each other without some shimming or other modification.  And you are still left with a gross-looking massive hook for a coupler.

The working knuckle couplers (like the EZ-Mates) were developed in the 1960's by KayDee.  The N scale products made by KayDee were later split off to be made and marketed by a company named MicroTrains, now often referred to as "M/T".  KayDee and MicroTrains kept a tight hold on their patented design until the patent expired, at which point many manufacturers brought out couplers based on the M/T design. M/T still produces a wide line of N-scale couplers in a variety of styles, including some specially designed for certain applications.  They have by far the most comprehensive line, and their products are top-quality.

All knuckle-type N-scale couplers should work with each other, with the exception of only a few with coupler heads much smaller than standard.  Knuckle couplers with steel trip pins (the part that looks like an air hose) will uncouple magnetically with the right equipment.  The only problem usually encountered with these is keeping a consistent height.  M/T sells a gauge for this, adjustment is usually done by shimming the coupler up or down.

EZ Mate Mark II couplers are a proven design and will work well with M/T and other brands.

Les

lesklar

Thanks, I found out more history on other websites. But your explaination was more concise and easier to understand.
So I am going to look more closely at my couplers and shim them to the correct height so I can use them. But I will continue to research the knuckle type coupler.
Thanks again!