News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO GE 45 ton switcher power truck problem

Started by jwerner20@hargray.com, February 10, 2013, 05:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwerner20@hargray.com

Purchased this loco new last June 2012.  Last night I laid it on its side on my work bench to add some detailing.  When I put it back on the track only one of the power trucks would run - the other one seems to be bound up/jammed.  I took this truck off and inspected it and can find nothing obvious other than it turns about a 1/4 revolution and it jams up.  The side rods are not bent so that isn't the problem.  I use straight DC power, no DCC system.  Can anyone suggest a solution?    I like to get fixed myself before I consider mailing it in to Bachmann for a warranty repair.  I am pretty handy and have been railroad modeling for about 50 years now.

richg

Quote from: jwerner20@hargray.com on February 10, 2013, 05:31:27 PM
Purchased this loco new last June 2012.  Last night I laid it on its side on my work bench to add some detailing.  When I put it back on the track only one of the power trucks would run - the other one seems to be bound up/jammed.  I took this truck off and inspected it and can find nothing obvious other than it turns about a 1/4 revolution and it jams up.  The side rods are not bent so that isn't the problem.  I use straight DC power, no DCC system.  Can anyone suggest a solution?    I like to get fixed myself before I consider mailing it in to Bachmann for a warranty repair.  I am pretty handy and have been railroad modeling for about 50 years now.

Have you tried rotating the gear at the top of the truck and see if the wheels and side rod turn freely.
Sounds like it has been running ok until you worked on it.
My understanding is the trucks are a snap fit.
I just went to the diagram page and expanded the loco diagram 200 percent and I see where the truck worm gear meshes with a worm on the drive shaft on either end of the loco.

Rich

jwerner20@hargray.com

Rich:  Thanks.  Took another look this morning and teared the truck down to its gearing, popped out the wheels and axles as well, looked for any grit or burrs in the gearing and could find none.  Apparently the problem is in the two vertical gears but I did not attempt to tear them apart.  Am shipping it off to Bachmann tomorrow.  My railroad will miss this unit while it is gone!  Thanks again for your suggestions.

richg

Quote from: jwerner20@hargray.com on February 11, 2013, 03:13:18 PM
Rich:  Thanks.  Took another look this morning and teared the truck down to its gearing, popped out the wheels and axles as well, looked for any grit or burrs in the gearing and could find none.  Apparently the problem is in the two vertical gears but I did not attempt to tear them apart.  Am shipping it off to Bachmann tomorrow.  My railroad will miss this unit while it is gone!  Thanks again for your suggestions.

That was probably the best thing to do.
Looks like the mesh is a blind fit when you push the truck into the frame and maybe the worm and worm gear did not mesh properly or the metal worm somehow damaged the worm gear.

Rich