2013 Bachmann Catalogue - Poor Selection of Spectrum steamers

Started by Pacific Northern, February 15, 2013, 02:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPSOUTHERN

Sears & Rog,I noticed Trainworld still has #84905,MD&PA 4-6-0 w/dcc & sound listed for $149.99.Thought you might like to know.

rogertra

Quote from: MPSOUTHERN on February 18, 2013, 08:52:06 AM
Sears & Rog,I noticed Trainworld still has #84905,MD&PA 4-6-0 w/dcc & sound listed for $149.99.Thought you might like to know.

All over it, thanks for the tip Sid.  :-)

Easy enough to repaint and decal into a GER locomotive.

Doneldon

Quote from: bobwrgt on February 17, 2013, 04:04:26 PM
Broadway Limited is a new player in steam and i see they have no problem selling out the steam releases.

Bob-

I'm pretty sure that Broadway Limited has an all together different market than Bachmann. Note that this is not meant to say that one is better than the other, only that they are different. (Please don't bother to tell me that you or a friend own locos from both makers and that proves the markets are the same; it actually proves nothing.)

Bachmann makes a fine product using a comparatively generic base model and then changing some details and paint to represent the same type of steamer (or diesel) as run by a number of railroads. In return for not having an obsessively prototypical model, Bachmann sells us a well-running loco at an affordable price. They back it up with the friendliest warranty in the industry and they try to stay in touch with customers, like you and me, by sponsoring this board. Broadway Limited, on the other hand, sells very prototypical models, sometimes right down to before or after various improvements or shoppings occurred. You won't find a BLI Pacific with a few altered details painted for the UP or the GN. In this regard, BLI is much like the brass models were a few decades ago: highly accurate representations of specific locomotives, but at a sometimes painful price.

As a result of the differences between the two companies, I have only a couple of BLI's products on my roster but a ton of Bachmann's. I have a bunch of brass, too, but many are older models which fit my needs or they are special locomotives that I just want to see on my pike -- things like a NYC Empire State Express or a UP Big Boy or a N&W J. Actually, the J is a Bachmann model but it sits proudly with the brassies.

-- D