2013 Bachmann Catalogue - Poor Selection of Spectrum steamers

Started by Pacific Northern, February 15, 2013, 02:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I was disappointed not to see any of the previous Spectrum steamers such as the 10 wheelers or the light or heavy mountain models not being re-released. These engines from the old stock are very hard to find. Which makes sense seeing they appear to be in demand when ever one is posted on "that" auction place.

You certainly have had enough members of this forum posting notices urging that some of these models be re-run.
Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Quote from: richg on February 16, 2013, 04:50:44 PM
It is what it is.

Rich

True, I just thought that they might be listening, however it appears they were not.
Pacific Northern

ryeguyisme

I think they're diverting their attention to the possibility of a non-USRA pacific or mikado, which since USRA DESIGNS have been played out by many man manufacturers now its time for something different, maybe we'll see a smaller consolidation and perhaps another wheel arrangement. You can forget about PRR they have enough of their stuff available. Maybe we'll see a USRA heavy 2-10-2 or another articulated. Like a NP/DRGW L-95/96 2-8-8-2

There's room for more designs.

Don't forget brass prices are falling, some engines that are brass are cheaper than some spectrum models. We might see sound value 2-8-0's maybe. All sorts of possibilities. The thing is, bachmann has to be able to sell 6,000 copies if they're to make something. There's still mountains and ten wheelers floating around, I've seen ten wheelers going for $150

It's all about what my football coach said "its all who wants it more". this DRGW boiler I won last night, I wasn't pulling any strings and the last second I threw down the maximum I was willing to pay for it and got it for less.

MPSOUTHERN

I would like to see a Southern Ps4 Heavy Pacific.especially with Soundtraxx sound.I have never met a R.R. fan/modeler who did not like the Ps4.I think some might be available in brass but that's about it.And if Bachmann decided to produce another articulated,I would like to see the N&W 2-6-6-4 with Soundtraxx.And Bachmann has shown many times in the past they're not afraid to spend money on new tooling.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I wouldn't mind seeing some Mid-western steam power like the Milwaukee Road S3 Class 4-8-4, Northern Pacific Class A-3 4-8-4 Northerns or some DM&IR or Soo line engines.

on30gn15

While there may be plenty of members of this forum posting notices, does the overall economy support enough non-member sales to make the venture worth the expense?
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

ryeguyisme

Quote from: MPSOUTHERN on February 16, 2013, 11:51:32 PM
I would like to see a Southern Ps4 Heavy Pacific.especially with Soundtraxx sound.I have never met a R.R. fan/modeler who did not like the Ps4.I think some might be available in brass but that's about it.And if Bachmann decided to produce another articulated,I would like to see the N&W 2-6-6-4 with Soundtraxx.And Bachmann has shown many times in the past they're not afraid to spend money on new tooling.

I'm not a fan of the Southern's pacifics. BUT I am a fan of their other engines :P

The likelihood of it being done is slim, but I hope to attempt to build it using 2 bachmann 2-10-2's :)

electrical whiz kid

Rye; Have you ever gotten up to Pioneer Valley up in Southwick?  They are live steam and had this really nice 4-6-2 in Southern Green.   It was a really sharp piece of machinery.
RIch C.

ryeguyisme

No I haven't I've been rather busy since my car accident I got into, I even had to cancel layaway on a few brass engines I was working on. :(

Bucksco

Quote from: on30gn15 on February 17, 2013, 01:31:39 AM
While there may be plenty of members of this forum posting notices, does the overall economy support enough non-member sales to make the venture worth the expense?

Bang!!! You hit the nail on the head....
When choosing items to be added and deleted from the new catalog there is a method to how it is done. Sales numbers over the past few years for each item as well as the number of a particular item still in stock at retailers and in the Bachmann warehouse are primary concerns. Bachmann would be happy to keep every item ever produced in the  catalog but that would be impossible. The consumer (you guys) cannot possibly be aware of an items "sales history" thus it seems plausible to keep one's favorites in the catalog. Bachmann needs to be very careful not to reissue items until they have been gone long enough for renewed demand to be created.

bobwrgt

I love steam. Anything that runs well. I have at least 1 (sometimes 2 ) of every Spectrum steamer Bachmann has ever made. Even have a few On30 Bachmann. I have been waiting for almost  a year for some new STEAM. This includes both HO and N scale.The economy might be down for some, but not here.
I retired and have more time for fun and time to devote to the hobby.
While i have been waiting I have purchased a new Mustang and started flying remote helicopters.
I think this part of the market is waiting.
Broadway Limited is a new player in steam and i see they have no problem selling out the steam releases.

Bob

Searsport

Hey Mr B - Re: 'The consumer (you guys) cannot possibly be aware of an items "sales history".

This may be true, but we can certainly be aware that the Spectrum ten-wheelers (low or high boiler) cannot be found anywhere, and the demand is such that even the old DCC ready versions if described as in "New" condition on e**y command stellar prices.

Wake up and smell the coffee! (please?)

Bill.

rogertra

Quote from: Searsport on February 17, 2013, 06:42:03 PM
Hey Mr B - Re: 'The consumer (you guys) cannot possibly be aware of an items "sales history".

This may be true, but we can certainly be aware that the Spectrum ten-wheelers (low or high boiler) cannot be found anywhere, and the demand is such that even the old DCC ready versions if described as in "New" condition on e**y command stellar prices.

Wake up and smell the coffee! (please?)

Bill.

Well said Bill.

The finding 4-6-0s is like like looking for hen's teeth and has been for some time.

on30gn15

Quote from: Yardmaster on February 17, 2013, 01:45:27 PMBang!!! You hit the nail on the head....
Thanks. But honestly, I have an unfair advantage with having been in retail for 23 years before my health crashed several years back.  ;D
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest