News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

gp30 pcb

Started by baldwinmikado, February 09, 2014, 05:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldwinmikado

Even though I model n scale now, I still have some ho scale models that I would like to convert to dcc. My two are gp40's in atsf and western maryland. They have the plain jane pcb boards with two light bulbs in them. I was just looking around in the parts section and under gp30 part number    6230X-6071 is a pcb board tjat appears to be  a dcc board. Is it dcc (notice the leds) and could I use it in my gp40?

Jerrys HO

Baldwin,

Here is a link done by one of the forum members awhile back. It works on GP's the same way.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html

Jerry

baldwinmikado

That's more info I needed years ago! Where were you??? But anyways it appears to be dcc. I'm not to sure. Copy the part number I putbin the first part an in the online store put it in the search bar. Its the only one but considering how gp30s and gp40s are just about twins to one another

bapguy

That is the DCC PCB. Make sure the motor is isolated from the frame or the decoder will be fried. NCE makes the same style decoder and it's a better one.  Joe

richg

If the below link looks like the insdie of your loco, you have to isolate the two motor leads from the frame.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/60801.pdf

Rich

baldwinmikado

I popped mine open real quick and it has two chassis pieces;  an upper and a lower. The lower is the main chassis and the motor sits on top of it and the upper acts as a "lid" and with screws keeps it all together. Power wires run from the truck to the dc pcb board on top of the chassis and then wires go to the motor. The negative contact on the motor touches the frame but that's it. The motor wouldn't be to hard to isolate

richg

Quote from: baldwinmikado on February 10, 2014, 06:30:56 PM
I popped mine open real quick and it has two chassis pieces;  an upper and a lower. The lower is the main chassis and the motor sits on top of it and the upper acts as a "lid" and with screws keeps it all together. Power wires run from the truck to the dc pcb board on top of the chassis and then wires go to the motor. The negative contact on the motor touches the frame but that's it. The motor wouldn't be to hard to isolate

Interesting.
The diagrams for the GP30 and GP35 show left hand/right hand split chassis.

The GP38 and GP40 show top/bottom split.

Rich

baldwinmikado

The board should sit right on top of the frame between the frame and shell. This is normal for most locos. I was just wondering if one it was dcc and if it would work on my gp40 with no problem.

richg

Quote from: baldwinmikado on February 12, 2014, 07:32:02 PM
The board should sit right on top of the frame between the frame and shell. This is normal for most locos. I was just wondering if one it was dcc and if it would work on my gp40 with no problem.

As bapguy said a short time ago, that is a decoder board. You can see the decoder on the Parts page. I just looked. A DC only PC board would have only the LED's and a resistor for each. If a DCC ready board is made, it would have much fewer components.
If the motor is isolated it could work. I would first verify the DC current at 12 vdc. Needs to be less than 1 amp.

Rich