News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Backmann 4-6-0

Started by dcb903, February 16, 2013, 10:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcb903

Hello all this is my first post in this forum.  I'm new to the hobby about a year. I have had a Kato Unitrax DC set up with two EMD, AB units, Its been grat no problems just enjoying this great new hobby. I received my first steam engine yesterday, a Backman Baldwin 4-6-0 DCC ready. The new engine seems slow and clumsy at first after running it for a while it ran a little better, just sooooo much slower than my EMD units. Is this normal? I was hoping to run both trains together but the 4-6-0 is just too slow. I run the EMD units on the outside track and the 4-6-0 on the inside not being able to switch them out. Any advice guys? Am I asking to much from my 4-6-0 and or is there a way to slow my EMD units down. Thanks in advance.

skipgear

The Bachmann loco is geared for the correct speed. It may be slightly slower on DC because it has a decoder installed which requires around 3V just to power up.

I'm guessing your other locos are Kato. They are notoriously geared too fast. Everybody else in the industry has gone to scale speed gearing and motor except Kato. The Kato locos will top out at a scale speed of somewhere over 200mph. That, combined with the voltage lag that the onboard decoder in the steam loco creates is going to make it hard to run them together off the same power supply. Pickup a second transformer for your second loop or consider making the jump to DCC. Going to DCC would require a DCC controler and decoders for your A/B set.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

dcb903

Thanks for your reply i was afraid of that.and yes my EMD's are Kato.  I'm just glad i can correct it. Ive tried to read all about DCC and what it does. I just haven't got it figured out yet. Could you recommend how and what i should get to convert to DCC, that will not break the bank

dcb903

Any recommendation of a DCC controller, ect that I could get that will work well with my KATO Unitrack I'm not going to be happy until i can run more than one train on my set up.

skipgear

There are many options for making the jump to DCC. For the kind of solution you are looking for, I suggest looking into Digitrax, NCE, or MRC systems. The Bachmann EZ command won't allow you to program decoders other than address and you need more capability than that to speed match loco's. I think the Dynamis would do it but honestly, I am not a fan of it and there are better options out there.

I currently use Digitrax because it is the standard used by many clubs, including the Ntrak club I belong too. NCE may be a little easier to program but it has its own drawbacks. MRC makes some good budget minded systems also. My reccomendation however is the Digitrax Zephyr system. As far as decoders for the F units, again there are a few options. Digitrax, TCS, MRC and a few others offer decoders that will fit.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

dcb903

Thanks skipgear. You've given me some options to consider I'm sure I'll go with your suggestion about digitracks.

dcb903