Spectrum Heavy 4-8-2 and Atlas code 83 No. 6 switches - Binding through frogs?

Started by rogertra, February 17, 2013, 09:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Has anyone else experienced problems with the Spectrum light 4-8-2 binding as it goes through the frogs of Atlas code 83 Number 6 switches?

I have no problems with other steam locos, 2-6-0s and 2-8-0s.  I've just installed DCC sound into one of my Spectrum Heavy 4-8-2 and it binds going through the No. 6 frogs.

I've check back to back on the drivers and they're fine.  I've have found that I need to run a 2 inch piece of hacksaw blade through the frog and then give the frogs a gentle filing with a triangular jeweler's file and that seems to solve the problem.

But I do find it strange that of my other Spectrum engines I have in service, only the Heavy 4-8-2 has this problem.

I never had these problems on my now dismantled GER with hand laid No. 6 switches.  All engine ran just fine though all frogs.

sd24b

Quote from: rogertra on February 17, 2013, 09:47:02 PM
Has anyone else experienced problems with the Spectrum light 4-8-2 binding as it goes through the frogs of Atlas code 83 Number 6 switches?

I have no problems with other steam locos, 2-6-0s and 2-8-0s.  I've just installed DCC sound into one of my Spectrum Heavy 4-8-2 and it binds going through the No. 6 frogs.

I've check back to back on the drivers and they're fine.  I've have found that I need to run a 2 inch piece of hacksaw blade through the frog and then give the frogs a gentle filing with a triangular jeweler's file and that seems to solve the problem.

But I do find it strange that of my other Spectrum engines I have in service, only the Heavy 4-8-2 has this problem.

I never had these problems on my now dismantled GER with hand laid No. 6 switches.  All engine ran just fine though all frogs.

check your drivers to see if they are in gauge with a nmra wheel/track gauge

RAM

I don't know what you mean back back to back.  However if the drivers are a hare off and the turnout is a hare off, that mean you have two hares.  If you have two hare you end with a lot of hares in a hurry.  Oh that should be hair.  Any way it looks like working on the turnout solved the problem.

rogertra

Quote from: RAM on February 18, 2013, 03:50:08 PM
I don't know what you mean back back to back.  However if the drivers are a hare off and the turnout is a hare off, that mean you have two hares.  If you have two hare you end with a lot of hares in a hurry.  Oh that should be hair.  Any way it looks like working on the turnout solved the problem.

That was hare raising.  :-)

I could go rabbiting on, but I won't.

I've found that running the three inches of hacksaw blade through the frog and the guard rails and then touching up with the triangle jeweler's file really helped.  The engine now runs silky smooth through all the switches.  BTW, the saw blade is from my days of hand laying switches.  You fill the frog with solder and then cut the crossing out with the hacksaw blade.  Anyone who's hand laid their own switches will know what I mean.

Back to back = gauge.  The back to back measurement is important because if it's too small, the wheels are too close together, then the backs of the wheels will rub against the check and guard rails slowing or stalling the engine.  It's automatically checked when you use the NMRA gauge.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

I would think that this is a closer definition:

Back-to-back + 2 wheel flange thicknesses = gauge of wheel set

Back-to-back is easy (and important) to measure, and since flange dimensions are pretty well controlled, is a pretty accurate (although indirect) way to measure the wheel set gauge.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.