News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Multiple Tracks on Curve

Started by Denyse, February 17, 2013, 12:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denyse

I am working on an extension for my layout, and in doing so I am running 3 lines down the basement wall.  When I reach the end, I need to create a turn around and in doing so, I am a bit stumped as to how to determine the proper way to keep the 3 tracks in alignment as I make the curve.   The minimum radius curve I use is a 22 EZ track (black roadbed) but I know I will need to go to the gray roadbed, but have no idea what so ever how to determine what to get.  I just cannot find a chart or anything. 

My local 2 day train show is approaching, and really need some assistance so I can take advantage of the "bargains"

Looking for more of the expert help, I always find here.

thank you.

jward

here's what i would do:

make the innermost track 22r. the middle track should be about 24 1/4" r which is easy to do several ways. if you want to stay with ez track, you can do a 180 degree turn of approximately 24r by alternating between 26r and 22r sections, you'll need 5 26r and and 4 22r, and you'll start and end the curve with 26r sections. to widen the effective radius a little more, insert a couple of short (1" or 1 1/2") straights in the middle of the curve. the outermost curve would be about 26 1/2r, using all 26r curves, again with a couple of short straights in the middle of the curve.

another way would to make the middle track atlas 24r and the inner and outer tracks ez track. a third way is to make the outer two tracks flexible track, and set the radius at whatever you like using a trammel.

to make a simple but accurate trammel, take a yardstick and drill holes in it at 1", and whatever radii you are using plus 1"..... you nail or screw the yardstick at the exact center of your curve, and place a pencil in the hole of your selected radius. you rotate the yardstick, using the pencil to draw the centerline of your curve.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Den

QuoteI just cannot find a chart or anything. 

Try anyrail.com it works great for a lot of us. The first 50 pieces or free to use. If you plan on purchasing the full version it will cost around $50 to $60 dollars and well worth it as you start to expand your layout.

Jerry

Joe Satnik

Chart:

http://nmra.org/standards/sandrp/s-8.html

Learn the "classes" at the top, then scroll down to HO.

Hint:  You need more than 2" centerline-to-centerline spacing. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

utdave

look at what Bachmann has    there largest is 35.5 which matches with 33.3    then theres a 28 and a 26 that match curve,  then the  22 and 18          so you might try even get a larger radius if possiable  which might work out well and alot better than the tighter curves  if your going to buy something look at all options that fits what you like .  options like outer rail frist then inner ones or inner ones then to larger ones   look at both ways when you cross the rails .  i found that you can mix and match   at 35.5 with a 28 then back to a 35.5   or a small straight  so theres alot of options   just play with it until you like how it fits.     the wider the curve the longer the trian   and more realistic .  
save your 22 for yard or other places  and stay with the gray roadbed  for the fact its nickle plated track not steel with those mainline runs   i have black road bed here and there with my grey  soon that will go away.

so many different ways to do rails and everyone has great ways of doing them
Dave

Doneldon

Denyse-

You can also use 22" radius tracks for the whole thing.

Just add a 2 1/4-inch straight before the curves start for the middle of the three tracks and a 4 1/2-inch straight before the curves for the outer loop. (both ends) Add straights at the ends of the loops as necessary to make it all fit together. If you want to stay with just black roadbed track, use the three-inch and six-inch sections to extend the starting points for your curves. They will just stretch out the curves a little farther but it will still work.

I must say, however, that you might do better to go with gray EZTrack than black. The steel alloy black roadbed track will rust, especially in a basement, causing significant track cleaning issues. Even better, IMHO, would be to use flex track so you can keep the spacing and curves coordinated. I think it will look better that way.

Whatever you do, good luck.

-- D

Denyse

WOW!  I never expected to get so many replies with such great information.  I have printed it all out, and now I will spend the time between now and the big show reading and re-reading it all, and then go with what will work out best with my bench work. 

I thank everyone for all of their help.  I greatly appreciate it!