Sound decoder for the Spectrum "medium" Vandy

Started by SteamGene, August 17, 2007, 05:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Who has a suggestion for a sound decoder for the medium Vandy tender?  It's tight in that cylinder!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtbob

Gene,

Investigate Soundtraxx.   If I am not mistaken,  they have announced that they will sell their Blackstone version of their sound decoders as a seperate item and if it fits in the tender of an HOn3 mike,  then I dare say it should fit in the vandy tender.  If I am wrong,   the look to LokSound as they make stuff small enough for N scale.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

r.cprmier

Gene;
A TSU-1000 will fit-and it is for a heavy locomotive (2-10-2, 2-6-6-2, etc).  I have one completed in a vanderbilt and it fits.  I put the speaker in the coal pile(actually, the coal pile is a port with holes drilled in the pile itself, covered with a sprinkling of coal and glued in place).   Check it out at Tsunami's web site, or go to tonystrains.com
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Rich,
This is the small SP style Vanderbilt, not the 16V.  It would be behind a Spectrum Consolidation.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jake

How about Soundtraxx Micro Tsunami? Now those are tiny!
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

r.cprmier

Gene;
If you take the garbage you do not need out of that tender, you will have room.  That Tsunami is not a large device.  Where you may have a problem is with the speaker; but a nice big coal pile will do the trick, I bet. 
Now, if you are just installing a regular 4-function decoder, might I recommend the "1021" by Train Control Systems.  I nstalled two in two Mantua camelbacks, and they work like gangbusters!  These decoders also have some super features.  It also comes with a nice long harness that you can splice onto what you have.  Check them out  at www.tcsdcc.com

I will send you a pic of mine offline.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!