News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New model suggestion

Started by OLYHI, February 22, 2013, 03:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLYHI

ALCo produced a 4-6-6-4, Class Z-6,  for the Northern Pacific followed by identical models for the Great Northern and Spokane, Portland and Seattle (the latter two lines bought oil burning locomotives whereas the NP bought coal-burning locomotives).  One design, three railroads.  A Spectrum-quality model of this engine would be greatly appreciated.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

The tender of the Z-8 could also then be used for other Northern Pacific engines like the Z-7 4-6-6-4, the A-5 4-8-4, the SP&S 700-702 (basically a Northern Pacific A-3 4-8-4 but built as an oil burner), as well as engines from other railroads like the DM&IR M-3 and M-4 Yellowstones, Union Pacific 400 Class "Big Boys" and the later Challengers like the 3985 and the FEF-2 and 3 Northerns of the Union Pacific.

ryeguyisme

I would actually be interested in a model or two, they are really neat brutes

OLYHI

Shoot, if it would be more feasible, I'd be happy with a NP A-3.  Advantage there is that it is currently a preserved locomotive (SP&S 700) used for fan trips.  Problem for manufacturer, though, is that it appeared on just two lines whereas the Z-6 was purchased by three lines and had several variations including letter color for the SP&S (yellow or white) and number boards for the NP.  The Z-6 is just a handsome brute with those flying air pumps.  NP used the Z-6 in both passenger and freight service.  GN used them unwisely in drag freight service on the OT line for which they were unsuited.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on February 22, 2013, 05:45:24 PM
The tender of the Z-8 could also then be used for other Northern Pacific engines like the Z-7 4-6-6-4, the A-5 4-8-4, the SP&S 700-702 (basically a Northern Pacific A-3 4-8-4 but built as an oil burner), as well as engines from other railroads like the DM&IR M-3 and M-4 Yellowstones, Union Pacific 400 Class "Big Boys" and the later Challengers like the 3985 and the FEF-2 and 3 Northerns of the Union Pacific.

I made a bit of an error on that post. The Northern Pacific A-3/SP&S 700-702 had tenders like what was on the Northern Pacific Z-6 Challenger. But all of the others were correct. Just had one of those moments were you are thinking of one thing then something else pops into your thoughts and manages to sneak in the middle of your typing and you then somehow get back on track.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on February 23, 2013, 09:44:32 AM
Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on February 22, 2013, 05:45:24 PM

I made a bit of an error on that post. The Northern Pacific A-3/SP&S 700-702 had tenders like what was on the Northern Pacific Z-6 Challenger. But all of the others were correct. Just had one of those moments were you are thinking of one thing then something else pops into your thoughts and manages to sneak in the middle of your typing and you then somehow get back on track.

Hey speaking of northerns, have you checked your private messages? It's about a Milwaukee Road 4-8-4 ;)

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I have and it is a great looking model but I don't have the $400 bucks to get it. I would renumber it to #261 anyway. But as far as the tenders on the NP A-3/ SP&S E-1 class 4-8-4's the tender looks either identical or nearly identical to that of the Milwaukee Road S-3 Northerns (the SP&S tender would be the oil tender behind the MR S-3 Northerns that were modified as such, and the NP A-3 tender would be the rest) as well as the FEF-1 Northerns of the Union Pacific.

ryeguyisme

you're right around the age I started collecting brass, I saved up $350 to get my first M-78, and I gotta say, it was worth the effort, who knows, that model might still be there by thee time you've accumulated the cash for it :p

electrical whiz kid

Rye Guy;
What's new?  Give me a shout sometime, and we'll get together.
Rich

electrical whiz kid

Just an interesting thought:  The New Haven had 4-6-6-4s.  Yep, sure did.  Put out 4860HP, too!  They were called "Yellowjackets", orEF-3s-.  They could put out 9,000HP on a start-up.  The New Haven used them mostly to haul 125-car freights(the limit allowed on the viaduct) out of Oak Point and Bay Ridge.  Why the NH management ever got rid of them and others like them, is a mystery to me.
Rich

ALCO1000

Requesting a DD35A AND B from the Bachmann before someone else does it that still uses light bulbs with a big price tag rather than LEDs with a nice tag.
My Idea
Jack

OLYHI

While we're at it, Bachmann's USRA heavy 4-8-2 could  be made over into a Great Northern P-2 with very little trouble (good enough for me, that is).  Bachmann will need to add a Vandy tender.  But please, no Glacier Park scheme - make mine the post-war black with graphite smokebox.  That model would be very useful for pulling a Fast Mail (Train 27/28), or a silk train.