News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

They're finally done....

Started by BaltoOhioRRfan, February 23, 2013, 08:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaltoOhioRRfan

I regret that it took me two years to finish one, while the other two i had done within a year of their deaths, but my 3 dogs Funeral Trains are complete, well mostly just need to get some passengers for their trains now. Sarah (put to sleep January 23 2010 of illness) train was post here before, Purdys (Died July 10th 2010 of natural Causes) i only had the engine and casket car done, and Elvis (put to sleep Nov 4th 2012 due to illness) i finished up with Purdys. More detailed pics to come but here are some shots of their cars while being worked on. I got the idea of the train from the Lincoln Funeral Train. I used realistic paint schemes on all the equipment of the B&O (with the exception of Elvis's) but Purdy's and Sarahs use real schemes with touchups here and there to make em look more ceremonial)

The Locomotives, #7 Sarah, #12 Purdy. #125 Elvis. Each engine number is their age, since both Purdy and Elvis were both 12, Elvis was close to being 12 and a half so i gave him 125.  Each has their casket cars behind them. Elvis's wasn't done yet.

Sarah with her train, since then i've modified her portrait on the front a little bit., features two Bachmann Open Air Excursion cars(one turned into a casket car) and 2 Con-cor/Rivarossi old time coaches w/ interiors.

Interior of Purdy's casket coach.

Elvis Casket car, its a modified Roundhouse 34 foot flat car kit(As with 2 other of the 4 cars)

More pics coming once i finish construction of my photo studio which will be later today..i hope.

Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Pops

Wow - what a great tribute. 
I never thought of that,  I lost "Wizard" six months ago.  I'm starting mine on Monday.
Love begets love.

:(

BaltoOhioRRfan

The finalized trains, still need to get figures to put in the coaches and on the benches in the modified gondolas, but other then that they are done.

Elvis's Train.

Purdy's Train

If you look closely in this pic, you can make out the brown casket through the passenger car window in the front car.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

WoundedBear

Nice way to remember your companions.

Sid

utdave

my favorite horse died last fall of old age.  i have myself riding it on my layout to remember her.    but your cars a very nice with those nice locos.     you need a funeral sound decoder to go with them .   crying sounds , and the priest giving the last respects  that would top it off. 
Dave

on30gn15

Hurts to lose those friends, sorry.
Inspiring idea and some very good modeling!
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Stevelewis

We Lost  our LEO 4 weeks  ago  aged 13.1/2 he was a miniature Poodle we had him since he was 8 weeks old. He  is missed  very much,  we  have  another  dog called Tilly who is  nearly 4 who is a cross Poodle Cocker Spaniel,  We also lost our other Poodle 18 Months ago called Cindy she was almost 12.

I am getting a new  car (Automobile) in a few days  time  and have  bought a personalized registeration plate for the vehicle  which has the name LEO on it.

Losing a pet  is very  sad.
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

GG1onFordsDTandI

First my condolences to all.  :'(
B&O, I think you may have started a new personalized trend in honoring those dear to, but no longer with us.
I think a U.S.Steel switcher and a hot steel crucible car for the ashes may be in order for my lost pal. His present memorial does not do him enough justice for he was also a railfan.......
An empty, stark white doghouse resembling a tiny church with its tall peaked roof is nestled in amongst the railyard repairshops junkyards debris on my layout. VLADIMIR is boldly inscribed above the archway's closed black doors. There in memory of his love of his walking us around the outskirts of the old Ecorse/Rouge,Mi. car maintenance & repair sheds. Preferring his "hobo freedom" to the pampered life of the champion he could have been. "Finest physcal example Ive ever seen" the nervous judge said in a Ukrainian accent, Vlad's eyes and his locked on each others during Vlad's show debut."But to stubborn for best of...today." Vlad grunting his smiling agreement thru his muzzle. The next 3 shows went perfect except, always waiting for the final judgment, he lifted his leg and dominantly sprayed the floor when eyeballed. How Russian could a dog be? OK buddy you dont have to this we told him. Loving his freedom he was insistant on walking the rail yard. Through decades of rusty yard-steel slivers, and littered slag from the nearby Rouge Steel mill slicing into his giant pads. Cuts just making him pull even harder on his lead. Determined to finish the pain quickly. hurrying to end his ceaseless unexplained quest for that night. The way he moved, he was the night. Quite the sight at 3am on "the wrong side of the tracks" in the heart of Detroit's steel born towns.
Vladie' was a 165lb shortcoat Middle Asian Shepard. A Mosler bread in Moscow, Russia. Newer to the U.S. He was the first I'd ever seen. A 15 pound puppy the size of terrier in weeks. Tuft-cropped ears, and tail, coal black hair with thin rusty-gold brindle stripes, he resembled a tiger crossed with a bear, reflexes and personality to match. A "one family junkyard dog" that even the dumbest ghetto crackheads steered well clear of. He did not even belong to me. He was my Friend's dog. But I was the only person alive he never tried to bite at least once. Only wagged his "stub" when I was around, and growled a warning if you yelled at, or buddy slapped me. I'm quite sure he would have given his life to protect me from anything. Vladimir the Impaler -R.I.P.

CNE Runner

My doctoral dissertation concerned itself with effective strategies of handling pet bereavement. We all handle the loss of a loved one in various, unique ways. Creating 'funeral trains' is unique...but if it brings acceptance for the loss it is worthy.

It seems you stimulated others to share their losses...that is also a good thing. I would like to call attention to two websites that may also be beneficial. The first discusses the accepted 7 Stages of Grief and can be viewed at:
The second site concerns "The Rainbow Bridge" and relates a wonderful notion of life after death of those 'furry friends'. This website is:

The sense of loss never goes away...we just learn to deal with it and understand that it has become part of the fabric of our lives (...part of our life's story so to speak). I sincerely hope these two websites are of some help - as they have been to my clients in the past. Mourning (the outward expression of loss) is rather short lived; whilst the grieving (inward sense of loss) can last for some time.

Peace,
Dr. R. O'Donnell
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

BaltoOhioRRfan

The Rainbow Bridge is in the certificate envolope they gave me when the dogs were cremated. While the trains aren't running, the engines sit on the shelf in display cases(one is a temp as I could not locate one for it while at the last train show, going to look at the next) with the three along with photos, Sarah's ball, two flags(US with an Eagle on the top of the stick and golden fringe and black ribbon and a MD with a bottonee cross on the top of the stick with golden fringe and black ribbon)

I'm not sure really why I decided to do trains for em, i think at the time I had Sarah put to sleep I was reading the book called The Lincoln Funeral Train or was researching it before i got the book. When Purdy died of old age, i felt bad that I did one for Sarah and not her so i got her locomotive done, and started on her casket car then ran out of supplies. and Elvis, i had to have him put to sleep and it was only fitting to have one done for him as well. I also thought of maybe just painting up engines with thier name on the sides and no picture and have em all painted up in the B&O President Scheme. But in the long run I decided to take the Lincoln Funeral train method, the engines will pull nothing but the 4 cars painted up for the dog in which they are named for.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

CNE Runner

It must be said that you have created a beautiful memorial in the memory of your friends. I read somewhere: "Our pets may pass through our lives...but they leave paw prints on our hearts."

Thank you for sharing your impressive modeling skills.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"