I would like to know for sure ...one way or the other.

Started by Dcinderblock, February 24, 2013, 11:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dcinderblock

the Dewitt- Clinton (item # 00641) :  Is this train compatible with a 15" radius curved track?  (normally runs on an 18" radius track)  ~  I would rather not spend my time or money on track I cannot use for this train.  THANKS !!! 

Doneldon

Cinder-

The DeWitt Clinton will negotiate 15" radius curves, to the extent that it runs at all. The tiny Bachmann trains like the DWC are very light in weight and build characteristics. Consequently they neither run well nor last long in regular use. They are terrific models of the trains they portray but their size is a major obstacle to smooth running. They don't have the weight to make good, consistent rail contact so they are easily stopped by any dirt on the track. Their short wheel base means they have trouble negotiating turnouts even when track and wheels are immaculate. Their diminutive size means they don't have anywhere to hide a DCC decoder, even an N decoder.

Bachmann only offers the DWC and the Pegasus now. I predict that neither will be replaced in the product array once they are sold out. Please don't construe that to mean that you should run out and buy some because they will be rare collectibles some day. They won't be rare in the first place and there won't be a demand for them in the second place. Bachmann's tiny trains are lovely to look at and a real kick to display along side other HO equipment. But that's the only thing they are good at -- display. Put your set outside your main terminal, inside if it's big enough, or on a shelf where it can be appreciated. But don't plan to operate it unless you have great frustration tolerance.

-- D