News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ho dc loco won't run

Started by jmprathe, February 25, 2013, 10:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmprathe

Help

I have a dcc commander and all my trains run but one.  The only way I can get it to run is by holding a screwdriver to the track and the metal frame of the loco.  It will then run wide open and cannot control it.  Any suggestions as to why it will not run properly?

Thanks

Doneldon

jmp-

Please give us full information when you ask questions on here, things like the exact items which are causing trouble, whether they ever worked and how old they are. We'll be much more able to help when we know what the parts are.

Are you sure that the problem loco has an operable decoder?

It sounds like your loco's pick-up may be defective. That would explain its failure to operate at all unless you connect the motor (via the frame) directly to the current, and the fact that it runs very fast when you do; you are supplying the loco with full DCC power which will make it run fast, indeed. The good news is that this means the loco's mechanism is OK. I suggest that you first check your electrical pick up and any wipers which are part of the pick-up system. Then make certain that you have a decoder and that it hasn't been programmed to an address which is beyond what your EZ Command can access. If all of this checks out, try returning the offending loco's decoder to its factory defaults (see your documentation). If you still have problems, bring them back here with full information.

Good luck.

-- D

jmprathe

Thanks for the reply.

It is a locomotive that came with the dcc ez command set.  The locomotive is the Santa Fe GP40.  The whole set is only 2 months old and was working fine until 3 days ago.  It is preprogrammed to button 2 and the light will still work on the engine when you hit function and button10 which tells me it is on the right address and getting power.  I took it all apart and do not see anything unhooked or out of place.  I am not sure about the loco's pick-up? 

Does Bachmann warranty their locomotives?

Thanks

GtrsnTrains

Have you tried re-setting the decoder?  Stabbing in the dark here- I don't have either the loco or the command set, but I've seen some strange things on my set.  Hair, the tiniest bit of metal causing a 'working fine' loco to go all-out, to accidentally changing a CV without knowing it.  A short can cause strange things that make a resetting of CVs fix them somehow.

GtrsnTrains

CV8 to 8 I think.  Maybe CV30 to 2, but probably not.  Worth a shot.

jmprathe

I don't think reprogramming the decoder is it because I can turn the loco's light off and on with the previously assigned address.

But I am also not sure how to reprogram the decoder.

bapguy

You have the EZ DCC system. You can't program decoders with it. All you can do is tyr giving the loco a new address such as 4. Joe

GtrsnTrains

Ok.
Strange.
I take it you haven't messed with DCC CVs at all?  I think it has to be some kind of short.  Like I said I've had 'woriking fine' locos with lights and sounds just 'go off' because of some unknown factor.
Clean the wheels lith some rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip (while the loco is upside-down but try not to get any on any paint as best you can).  Look really closely at the pickups- brass-looking strips touching wither the inside of the wheels or the wheel axels, and maybe slide some alcohol-soaked paper inpetween the contact to the metal, to see if there is any black 'crud'.
Somethng is giving the light power, but not running the loco....

GtrsnTrains

Sorry I'm stabbing in the dark...I don't have EZ or that loco, just going by my own 'trial and error'...and there's been quite a few!!  Dog hair...second only to cat-hair! Non-metallic I know, but sometimes I wonder....

Doneldon

jmp-

As I mentioned, try resetting the decoder to factory defaults. That will be address 3 again. The instructions are in your documentation.

Yes, Bachmann guarantees their products. I assume you didn't read your documentation if you don't know that. You are supposed to
send in your warranty card when you purchase the model and you are then covered for a year. You can still send the warranty card
with your model and store receipt to get free service. If you no longer have your proof of purchase you can send the model in
with $25.00 to get service. Bachmann will either repair your model, replace it with a similar model if possible, or replace it with a
comparable model if an original isn't availale. Be aware that modified or customized locomotives will be repaired if possible but a
replacement locomotive will not have the modifications.

-- D