News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC GP 9's

Started by blf, February 26, 2013, 07:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blf

Does any one know if the DCC only equipped GP 9s are machined so one could add sound. Are the frames and components like the ones with sound. Bill

jward

i know the gp7 is, and i suspect the gp9 is as well. they are the same length, so it would be logical they use the same frame.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

blf-

Yes, they are the same frame.

-- D

timhar47

Is the Bachmann Shark in the same category, having the speaker opening etc?

jward

idon't think it is. the shark is older tooling, having been around at least 10 years.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

blf

Thank you. Does the speaker go in the rear or in the fuel tank area if you know? Thanks again. Bill

bapguy

Heree's how I did mine.  Joe

bapguy

See photo's posted here. On mine, I used a Tsunami decoder for the Bowser F unit. I like this style as it has the keep aile caps built in and are set up for LED's. I milled part of the top frame to fit the caps in. I replaced the factory LED's with warm white ones. I did have to take the drive train apart so I could enlarge the speaker opening a bit to get the speaker to seat properly so the fuel tank cover fit on correctly. Joe

blf

thank you Joe. I have fitted 18 of my diesels with Tsunami products, and like them very much. Are you happy with the sound from that small speaker. I have a Baldwin switcher from another manufacture with a speaker in the same location, and it is barely audible. Bill

bapguy

The speaker is a 28mm size. The sound is good. I use JMRI Decoder Pro and am experimenting with the equalizer to increase the volume. What brand and model Balwin do you have? I have a Bowser VO 1000 and have the sound at less than half (CV value 120) and am very pleased with it. I have a Bachmann GP30 DCC on board that I added sound to. I used a .63" speaker and enclosure in that one and the volume is great. Joe 

blf

Sorry Joe, just remembered it's a FM from Walthers, and it has I believe a QSI system in it. Will try some of your suggestions as I have quite a few speakers now. Thanks again. Bill

richg

Cut a new coffee filter to proper diameter and slip it into the fuel tank between the speaker and tank grill. You will be surprised at how much magnetic material will be picked up from between the rails.

Rich

bapguy

This isn't a problem on the Bachmann GP's as the fuel tank cover has no wholes in it. At least mine doesn't.  Joe

richg

Quote from: bapguy on February 28, 2013, 02:12:58 PM
This isn't a problem on the Bachmann GP's as the fuel tank cover has no wholes in it. At least mine doesn't.  Joe

All I had to go on was the GP7 diagram which appears to have holes. You might think about drilling holes. No idea on how thee sound will be without speaker holes, though. Might not even be an issue. I know my 44 ton and 70 ton have the speaker and baffle on top of the frame with the shell over the speaker and I am happy with the sound. The speaker fires down through the frame.

Rich

bapguy

I might try drilling some wholes in tank cover to see if the sound improves.  I put a sound decoder in my Bachmann GP30 DCC on board. I used a .63" speaker and enclosure that fit on the rear frame step. Sound is really good for a small speaker.  Joe