Did I create a loop in disguise?

Started by Jacks dad, February 24, 2013, 10:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacks dad

Greetings everyone,

I'm working on my boy's layout and the locomotive runs well but stops at point A or B (does not matter direction of travel) if one or both turnouts are switched to the siding. I included a diagram of the layout. Does this siding look like I may have a reverse loop in disgiuse or is there another issue I'm not seeing? Appreciate any suggestions or definites.

Sincerely,
Brian

RAM

You do not have a reverse loop.  You will need to run wires over to your siding.  You should gap both rails at each end of the siding.  If this is a DC layout I would do the same thing on the main line and then install and off/on switch for both the siding and the main.  That way if you have two trains and can stop one train and turn the power off.  Turn the other line on and run the other train.  They have plastic rail joiners to used at the gap.

Jacks dad

Greetings Ram,

I forgot to mention it is D.C. Thank you for the information. Should the wiring with plastic gaps look like this. I assume I need an atlas or other type of selector for it.

Sincerely,
Brian  

jward

you should move the insulated joints on the main track to a location beside the ones on the siding. also, note that the wire to the front track should be reversed from the ones to the rear main and siding, because the front track is actually going the opposite direction from the others.

an easy way to keep all this straight is to use the outer rail for your common connection and the rail closest to the center of the layout for your connections from the selector. The diagram below shows a typical block wiring plan.

remember it is vital not to get your wires crossed or you'll get a short circuit.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jacks dad

Greetings Jeff,

Thank you for the clarity. Good tips on the common rail. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Brian