News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NEW TRAINS

Started by rube125, February 28, 2013, 07:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rube125

I HAVE TWO 4-6-0 AND I JUST RECEIVED A NEW 28 TON SHAY TRAIN WITH SOUND.  I WISH THEY WOULD PUT SOME INFORMATION ABOUT WHERE THE PARTS IN THE PACKAGES GO.  ONE PART IS HEAVY 1/2" X 3/4" X 1-3/4" LONG.  DOES THIS GO SOMEWHERE ON THE LOCO?  I TRIED RUNNING THE NEW TRAIN AND IT GOES BUT NOT FAST.  DOES THIS PART MAKE THE TRAIN GO FASTER IF I MOUNT IT WHEREVER IT GOES?
I am sorry but I meant I bought a ON30 28 ton two truck Climax(sound).  I don't think that will make any difference on the slow speed but I still feel some kind of literature would help to identify the contents.  I don't know what that part I described above is or where it goes.  I guess I can call the repair shop at Bachmann.

ebtbob

Good Evening Rube,

First of all,  the engines you mentioned are available in both HO and On30.   It may help us know which scale you are referring to.
       Secondly,   in the internet world,  typing in all caps is considered yelling.  Help we can get more info from you.

Respectfully
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Mdaskalos

Quote from: rube125 on February 28, 2013, 07:30:52 PM
I JUST RECEIVED A NEW 28 TON SHAY TRAIN WITH SOUND. ... I TRIED RUNNING THE NEW TRAIN AND IT GOES BUT NOT FAST...

rube125,

Have you ever seen a real Shay run?

Slow probably means it's running right. I would be more worried if it did run fast.

mdaskalos

RAM

Does anyone know what the top speed for a shat is?  My guess would be about 10 mph.

Doneldon

Quote from: RAM on February 28, 2013, 10:58:30 PM
Does anyone know what the top speed for a shat is?  My guess would be about 10 mph.

RAM-

Most could go up to about 20 mph under the best of circumstances. However, Shays
rarely saw best circumstances because that kind of track was the realm of conventional
locomotives. Speeds of about 8-12 mph were the norm.

-- D

jward

having ridden behind the real ones at cass, wv i can tell you that they don't move very fast, but they sound like they are doing 60 when they are only going 10. they are very low geared, and can climb incredibly steep grades. they are like mountain goats.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

RAM

The Cass Railroad is really a class act.  I think they operate every type of geared locomotive.  Even if you don't like steam, it is a very nice ride with a great view.  The grade is very steep.  I took the short ride a number of years ago.  I would like to go on the long trip to the top.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: rube125 on February 28, 2013, 07:30:52 PM
 ONE PART IS HEAVY 1/2" X 3/4" X 1-3/4" LONG.  DOES THIS GO SOMEWHERE ON THE LOCO?  DOES THIS PART MAKE THE TRAIN GO FASTER IF I MOUNT IT WHEREVER IT GOES?
Could it be a weight to give better traction, or to keep a light tender on the rails, on heavy pulls?