News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track Question

Started by handyandy, March 21, 2013, 03:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handyandy

Hi, my dad is seeking advice on the Bachmann snap fit EZ track. He wants to run a 16 inch track inside an 18 inch track. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Doneldon

han an -

Bachmann doesn't make 16" radius curved track; the closest is 15". These measurements are to the center of the track. It is possible to put a 15" radius curve inside of an 18" curve but there are likely to be operational problems. First, 18" is pretty tight, meaning longer equipment will have a hard time making it around the curve without derailing. Eighteen inch radius means you need to stick with short steam engines, four-wheel-truck diesels, 40' freight cars and shortie passenger cars. However, even these small units may experience problems depending on exactly where the trucks are mounted and what kind of couplers are used. The problems could be, in addition to derailment, corners of cars bumping on the curves and severe hangovers on the curves such that trains on adjacent tracks sideswipe one another.

If 18" curves are tight, 15" curves are very tight. All of the problems of 18" curves are repeated with 15", only moreso. You'll need to stick with very short equipment; you probably won't be able to use any passenger equipment other than old-time Overton cars. Your couplers will need long shanks, making for unrealistically long distances between cars. The ends of curves, especially if an 18" curve and a 15" curve terminate at about the same point, will be critical areas. You can displace this conflict to some degree by adding short straight track sections between the straightaways and the points where the curves begin on the outer (18") curve. However, you'll still experience a significant chance of sideswiping.

It's possible to further ease the problems if, in addition to the track extensions which cause the curves to begin at different places on the two concentric loops, you add a short straight sections in the middles of the outer curves. However, You would do better to go to 22" outer curves. Combining 22" and 18" curves presents the same contact conflicts as with 18" and 15", but it does avoid the extremely tight 15" radius curves.

In case it's not already obvious, tight concentric curves such as you are contemplating present a multitude of operational problems. I suggest that you look at existing track plans on line, and perhaps try one of the track planning CAD programs to see if you can use a different solution for your expectations for your railroad.

Welcome to this board. I think you'll find lots of good information here. It's a good place to try ideas before you commit time and treasure to a specific project.
                                      -- D

Jerrys HO

Andy

Ditto on what the big 'D' said.
I had 18r and switched them all out to 22r and up. I have a pile of 18r I am getting ready to get rid of.
Unless you plan on staying with the smaller loco's and rolling stock do think of  using a larger radius as suggested instead of going smaller.

Jerry

HOART

15" radius fits inside 18" radius . Go to my post in Geneal Discussion listed as 38"X38" small  HO layout . I only use the 15" radius for a trolley car .The 18'has 9" Harrimann style passenger cars .Don't even think of using long cars there will be too much overhang .Send me your email address and I will sent you a picture of a 15" inside 18" .Bachmann does not make a rerailer/connector track for 15" .I used an Atlas 842 HO terminal rail joiner.The two wires connect directly to each rail .
Enjoy !
  Art

Doneldon

Quote from: HOART on March 21, 2013, 09:51:05 AM
15" radius fits inside 18" radius .

HOART-

The issue isn't whether 15" radius track fits inside of 18" radius
track, it's whether this arrangement is functional.

-- D