News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Multiple DCC Boosters ?

Started by Denyse, March 04, 2013, 03:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denyse

Now that my railroad is running great on with the Dynamis system.  I am switching most of my turnouts to take advantage of the increased capability.  I am sure I am going to go over the 5amp limitation of the single booster that I now have.

How do I add more than 1 booster to the system.  I cannot locate information as how to wire it all up.  I will have over 50 turnouts once it is all finished.

Advice etc... PLEASE.

Jerrys HO

What type of turnouts?
Most turnouts do not use much and when they do it's only for a split second.
Unless you are throwing them all at once then you would have a problem.

Doneldon

Denyse-

Five amps is plenty of power for an HO layout. You can easily run several trains with lashups and sound, plus lots of lighted cars and so on. And the turnouts shouldn't be a problem, either. They only use current for a second and not that much at that. If you are lining a string of turnouts, say for yard access or egress, you're probably going to want a capacitive discharge system which won't tax your system, either (and it'll cost way less than a booster). Five amps will run most any home layout except the whole basement jobs with multiple decks or mushrooms. Breaking a layout into power districts for ease in trouble shooting electrical problems is a handy way to go but you don't need extra boosters to do it. I suggest that you run with your Dynamis for a few weeks and see if you actually have a power shortage. I'm betting you don't.

-- D

ALCO1000

5 amps very much power,Well the more incandescent light bulbs you have the more the problem. LEDs are the way to go ,just a little advice,Bulbs are just such a waste of power for what you are getting out of them more than anything else there amp hogs.

richg

Our club has a two room HO layout and one 5 amp booster. The DCC amp meter shows around 3.5 amps with about ten sound locos.

Rich

Limey

A very big thank you to all of you for the great advice,  now I know where I am going with my layout, power wise that is. I have 2.5amp Zephyr that I can use for my yards and programming and my DB100 for the main operation with a couple of PM42's for power districts. 

Many thanks, Limey.

Denyse

Thanks to everyone.  I guess I am a victim of READING to much.  Glad I asked here before I went out and spent money on more boosters.  Now I can use the money to expand my Dynamis system with another control unit, or two.

Thanks again.