News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Universals 3 truck Ho Shay

Started by steve turner, March 13, 2013, 01:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve turner

Guys the center of a universal tore out. I beleive there are three on the 3 truck HO Shay with the male drive on them. These are not listed in parts .Does this mean they are out or not available as a part?. I assume they maybe part of the trucK assembly available?? I hope this is not the only way to get the part?. Thanks steve

steve turner

Thomas its the parts protruding the sideframe ends so i guess i have to order sideframes complete..............its the male arm that slips into female sleeve. I just recently replaced the gears with NWSL and it purrs along! Those o rings i think retainers on the shaft.Thanks Steve.................the unit is at leat 8 years old and has served me well.

WoundedBear

I think you're going to need one or both of these to get what you require.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_92&products_id=1642

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_92&products_id=1651

When Trainworld blew out Shays at 75 bucks a few years ago, I stocked up. The seperate parts can add up fast.

If you go with the new Bachmann parts, you're also going to have to swap your metal gears back in when the plastic ones fail again.

Sid

steve turner

Ok Sid! Looking at my Shay how do you get to the two screws holding on cylinder?. Not sure how to tackle that. I might bite the bullet and oderc ylinder too!.Thanks Steve

Thomas1911

Steve, on the bottom of your loco you should see two screws at the front and rear of the "ash pan".  Remove those screws and disconnect the truss rods from the frame rails and the ash pan/cylinder assembly should come off.

This is a good guide.  His step for removing the ash pan/cylinder assembly shows three screws, but the one in the hole is actually one of the cab screws.

http://gearedsteam.blogspot.com/2009/08/bachmann-spectrum-shay.html?m=1

steve turner

Thanks Thomas.Ok i follow that but how do you get to the two side screws to remove cylinder.............unless you squeeze between the rods with small screw driver............that looks chancy unless the rods slip off. Doesnt seem right tring to slide screw driver between the rods to reach the two screws which are alos supplied with replacement cylinder.Maybe i am missing something here.Thanks steve

Thomas1911

The rods just clip onto the crankshaft.  Remove the front and rear rods, then you should be able to get a small phillips screwdriver in to remove the screws.

steve turner

Thanks Thomas! I was thinking maybe that but thought i should ask first. Thanks steve,..............so minimum 30 dollars to fix trucks plus  30 for cylinder plus S and H should just about kill the slush fund. The truck parts i need maybe i will just take them off new units when they arrive  as i just sweated out the NWSL procedure on gear replacements.That was a killer.Those universals should slide off???.Steve

Thomas1911

I was going to suggest that.  Just swap the new universals onto your existing cylinder assembly and trucks.  As you know from the gear install, they're just a light press fit onto the line shafts.