Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale metal wheels ?

Started by Old Bandit, February 27, 2013, 04:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Bandit

Hello Gentlemen !

Just a question from a newbie :
All Bachmann Large Scale rolling stock is equipped with metal wheels.
But what kind of metal ?
Thanks for your help !
Great blog with lots of info.

Loco Bill Canelos

Not sure of the metal, it has changed over the years.  The more correct statement would be is:
All Bachmann Large Scale rolling stock  "made after 2000"  is equipped with metal wheels.

Much of the rolling stock made before 2000 has plastic wheels.  If you are buying on Ebay, look carefully as there is much Bachmann rolling stock made before 2000 with plastic wheels out there.  Some sellers buy Bachmann Rolling stock with metal wheels, strip them off the car and replace them  with plastic wheels, then pass them off to unsuspecting buyers.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Old Bandit

Thanks for your help Loco Bill.
But the question remains the same : what kind of metal (steel, copper, brass...) ?

veetwelve

Not sure what they're made of, but I know they're non-magnetic, if that helps.  I've got some bright metal wheels on old passenger cars from the 90's, and some of the newer, dark wheels on a freight car... all non-magnetic.

Jay

Old Bandit

Barry BBT

Embarrassingly, I know what the alloy is, but can't recall (old age syndrom).  But the specific alloy has about 30 grades of quality.  Bachmann started out with some very low grade and over the years beginning with the Shay and Tenth Annie locos have developed great detail parts with darkened parts and greater strength than the originals.  First lesson, the early metal wheels can't be soldered (nor any of the detail parts).

When I do recall this stuff, I will advise.  My old DOS machine is down, otherwise I know where to find it.

Barry
There are no dumb questions.