News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

motor vs flywheel motor

Started by union pacific 844, March 09, 2013, 11:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

No Rich, the order was placed through NWSL's website and OSO processed the order.  So if NWSL is not in Seattle, where are they? 

And, I need to ask, how do you cut the thrust washer w/o destroying it?  I bought mine to slide between the worm and the bronze bearing in the front of an Athearn BB.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 12, 2013, 06:52:50 AM
No Rich, the order was placed through NWSL's website and OSO processed the order.  So if NWSL is not in Seattle, where are they? 

And, I need to ask, how do you cut the thrust washer w/o destroying it?  I bought mine to slide between the worm and the bronze bearing in the front of an Athearn BB.

Very clear right on the Oso site.

http://www.osorail.com/

I cut one side with a sharp 4 inch flush cutter. Not the diagonal type. I picked up the tool many years ago. Micro Mark sells a 6 inch version.

http://www.micromark.com/flush-cut-rail-nipper,7041.html

I used a small pair of pointed tweezers to insert the washer.

Rich

jbrock27

Ahh, now I see Rich-MT.

Will the Xuron track cutters work to slit the thrust washers?

Thank you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 13, 2013, 06:35:02 AM
Ahh, now I see Rich-MT.

Will the Xuron track cutters work to slit the thrust washers?

Thank you.

Yes.

Rich

on30gn15

A couple months ago bought an older Atlas Alco S2 which was manufactured by Roco in Austria; first off that thing is heavy since frame and walkways both are metal castings; secondly, even with the fairly small flywheels it has you need to think about 3 inches ahead of where you are.

In 1980s, several of my Athearn SWs and GPs and one Trainmaster were equipped with those reduction gears made by Ernst, since motor was now rotating faster for same linear speed, it was a situation of think a few inches ahead of where you want to stop.

One amusing trick to those of us easily entertained was to crank up the speed, pull the power pack plug, and watch loco's headlight bulb light dim as loco coasted to stop with motor now acting as generator.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

steve turner

Cannot think of any loco motors that dont come with flywheels. Even the tiny Climax Lemon came with a flywheel. I guess if you are dcc a decoder will do a 100 times better than a flywheel in terms of cruise control of your loco. On the other hand a flywheel in the old days with a power pack or throttle with mommentum worked pretty good too!. Not everyone is DCC so i guess flywheels still added to motors..................quite surprised they are not deleting flywheels on DCC locos as cost cutting measure  :o ??? ::) ;) :)

steve turner

On another note a flywheel is probably only as good or helpfiull as its neighbouring components..............motor, drive , gears etc. Seems tome you could put a gold plated flywheel in some locos and it wouldnt make a difference on performance! :)

jbrock27

Steve,

Try Bachmann's current "Blue Box" offerings for ones that do not have flywheel motors.  I would imagine (but am not certain since I am not really interested in them) that there are others out that there that are currently made and do not have flywheels.

On30gn15,

Just received a Atlas/Rocco GP38 high nose-luv it!

-jb
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

You want a nice motor, try a coreless motor. They are an excellent motor for DC controlled model railroads. Kind of pricey though.
Problem being they can be damaged by some DCC decoders. They do not dissipate heat easily.

A bunch of links in the below link about coreless motors.

http://tinyurl.com/c5kmdeh

Rich

jbrock27

I just want to clarify my poor choice of the word "try".  Since Steve said he could not think of any locos that did not come with flywheels today, that was my way of saying there are current non flywheel motors made today, as in- try checking out a Bachmann Blue Box.  It was not an endorsement on my part.  Sorry for any confusion.
Keep Calm and Carry On