News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turntable conversion to DCC

Started by Limey, March 14, 2013, 01:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey

I have been looking at getting a turntable for my layout but prices are very high.  $300 + on ebay plus shipping. for a DCC equipped 90 ft. turn table.
  I can get a new 90 ft. turntable and motor kit for less than $100,( Same make and model as the DCC)  does anyone know what is involved in making this into a DCC unit,  or is it even worth going the DCC route?

Regards, Limey.

steve turner

If its the  old walthers kit it has not a very good track record. If your talking the walthers DCC unit its great and is fully featured.............i like the IR setting of the tracks as in memmory settings.I have run mine many years and have been very happy. The put together unit had running issues, rubbing issues and was a pain interms of roundness etc.Many folks pulled their hair out over this unit.Steve

rogertra

Quote from: steve turner on March 14, 2013, 02:37:04 PM
If its the  old walthers kit it has not a very good track record. If your talking the walthers DCC unit its great and is fully featured.............i like the IR setting of the tracks as in memory settings.I have run mine many years and have been very happy. The put together unit had running issues, rubbing issues and was a pain interms of roundness etc.Many folks pulled their hair out over this unit.Steve

There are several things about the new version of the 90 foot Build Up turntable that I and many other people are not happy with.

1)  As a concession to DC modellers, the TT has a split ring track power supply.  Half way around the circle, the track goes dead, as does the DCC decoder in your locomotive with results, for sound equipped locos, the sound going off.  Then there's the concern regarding the sudden power surge after the TT passes over the dead spot.

2)  The numbering system for the program stops as described in the instructions is completely illogical.

3)  Contrary to the instructions, you can program adjacent tracks stops as 1; 2; 3; etc..  However, you will still need a cheat sheet or diagram posted near the controller so that you can easily figure out where you want to turntable to stop,  The control cab end of the turntable is the end the stop numbers refer to.

4)  There are two extra buttons on the control unit that are not described in the instructions and if you press either one of them, you get an error message.

5)  Unlike the first version of the turntable, the control box has no built in way of flush mounting it on a panel.

Having wrote the above, once you figure out the overly complex and inaccurate programming instructions, and post a diagram showing what tracks the stop numbers refer to, it operates well.

The old Walters turntable kit, for around $30.00 is NOT worth buying.  Avoid it like the plague.  I have and un-built one for the postage if anyone is brave enough. 

Doneldon

Limey-

You are not required to have a DCC turntale just because you are running DCC for your
locomotives. Any decent turntale control system will work fine. However, you can still feed the
bridge track from your DCC buss. You will probably want an automatic reverser on the ridge
track so you don't have shorting problems as your locos move on and off of it.
                                                                                                                     -- D

steve turner

Made an error on my post mine is the original newish one with flush mount control not the newer model. I have and am enjoying mine.That being said quite often there are trade offs in our complex hobby today.My original turntable and i think everyone had one was the ear deafening Atlas unit.I actually went to the trouble of buiding it into a scratch built pit...............the wall was cork roadbed gluesd to edge with brickwork carved into it.Today another modeler is enjoying it. Steve

Pacific Northern

Quote from: steve turner on March 14, 2013, 02:37:04 PM
If its the  old walthers kit it has not a very good track record. If your talking the walthers DCC unit its great and is fully featured.............i like the IR setting of the tracks as in memmory settings.I have run mine many years and have been very happy. The put together unit had running issues, rubbing issues and was a pain interms of roundness etc.Many folks pulled their hair out over this unit.Steve

Note, that Walthers has released a new version of the 90 Kit turntable. It also has the optional motor to move the turntable with the controller.

I have not heard any comments on this new version, I did hear that the old turntable without the motor option was a hit and miss. Some users had very little problems, others had problems. Main problem was as mentioned not staying round, however, some users did reinforce the pit and after being strengthed did work well. Fiberglass would be an easy application to the turntable pit

Many modelers running DCC had little problems with the old Walthers pre-built indexing turntable. DCC wiring is easier than DC wiring on a turntable.
Pacific Northern