News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HELP - Bachmann 4-8-4 problems

Started by nberpa, March 15, 2013, 03:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nberpa

Hi,
I'm new and I joined the forum to ask help from the people here. I have had a Bachmann Santa Fe 4-8-4 Northern w/DCC. As most of you know, there are wires coming from the tender to the locomotive that plug in just under the cab floor. When I went to unplug these wires, the two black wires pulled completely out of the smaller plug. Since it is not under warranty, I tried to fix it myself. I failed at that attempt....  :o ???

Anyway, Is there anywhere I can order a set of these plugs with the wires already attached so that I can get this loco running again?? The only thing I saw in the Bachmann parts store was a complete Northern tender chassis that had the PC board and the wires I need are included for $70. The only thing is, is I'm not going to pay $70 for another chassis whenever all I need is the wires and plugs.......

Please let me know if I can order them anywhere.......
Thanks,
Cody

bapguy

Is this the plug with only 2 wires in it? Does the loco run with out this pluged in?One option is to replace this 2 wire plug with one from some one like Miniatronics. You would have to disasemble the loco to get to these wires to attach to the new conncetor.  Joe. 

nberpa

yes its the plug with only two wires in it. No the loco won't run without it on DCC. Do you have a part no. from miniatronics?

Limey

nberpa,
              Go to the Bachmann site, Parts, HO, and then in the top right corner enter " connectors " in the Search field it will show you a 2 pin and 4 pin plug which although not specifically for your unit it should fit. I am pretty sure all the plugs for HO are a standard size.
Hope this helps.
Limey.

baldwinmikado

Yes what Limey said is correct. Most large locos that have decoders in the tender have a 2 wire plug and a 4 wire plug. tenders that are aftermarket reproductions (like the ones you can order from the section in model railroader magazine) also have a 2 wire plug and a 4 wire plug. this is a known standard among this area. just like how ho knuckle couplers are made by many diff manufacturers, but they all are compatible with another.

OLYHI

Ah, but you have to be careful.  Unless the tender and cables and plug are compatible with the particular DCC system for your specific locomotive, you could blow out your board and leds.  Voice of experience, here.