Simple Question on Base boards

Started by MacMeacail, March 19, 2013, 11:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacMeacail

Dear Train Buff:

I am building my first baseboard for my daughter, 8, using the E-Z Track system.  I used PECO track before, so my question is How do I fasten the E-Z track tot he baseboard?

JMN

Doneldon

Mac-

The easiest wat to secure EZ Track, and probably the best, is to use plastic compatible glue or caulk. You run a bead down the centerline of the right-of-way, spread it out very thin with a putty knife and lay the track. Some people omit the spreading step and others put the adhesive right on the bottom of the track. That works better in some ways because you can be sure to get the adhesive on the points of contact with the surface. The main thing to remember is to use an adhesive which won't melt the plastic roadbed.

Liquid Nails for Projects is a good choice as are most caulks. One nice thing about caulk is that you can peel the track up with a thin putty knife later if you decide to make some changes.

Are you applying your track to extruded foam insulation or a hard surface like plywood or MDF? The glue method works well with both but insulation board is much lighter to handle, while remaining quite rigid. This is especially important if you are building a temporary or portable layout.

Keep us advised of your progress and visit again.

-- D

Jerrys HO

Mac
I use a low temp hot glue gun. A little on each side holds great and if you ever have to remove a piece to add a siding or whatever you can stick a putty knife under the track and cut the glue off the board.

Jerry