News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC turnouts

Started by oljonb, March 20, 2013, 05:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oljonb

Having discovered On30 and acquired several locos with sound, rolling stock, track and a controller, now I find myself confused regarding turnouts. I am running DCC. I purchased two E-Z track  turnouts a while back that are apparently not DCC compatible as they will not permit my Forney to run through them without stalling. I see there are E-Z track turnouts that are designated as DCC compatible and appear different from the other ones I purchased in that they do not have the plastic frog.
  Now, how do I control them? What do I need to hook them up so I can use remote control on them. I have searched the Net pretty thoroughly and have not found an answer. Since, obviously, I don't know what I don't know, what do I need to know?

Jon O

bapguy

Short wheel base locos will stall on turnouts with metal frogs as well unless the frogs are powered. Bachmann makes turnouts that can be contrlooed by a DCC throttle that has that capability. The turnout has a decoder hooked up to the switch motor. The turnout is assigned an adddress just like a loco.What DCC system are you using? Joe

Jerrys HO

Jon

To add to what bapguy replied, turnouts by Bachmann with powered frogs are numbered (4,5,6). They are not powered unless you make them powered by hooking up the black wire underneath the turnout. Instructions are included with this. The ones you have are the standard turnouts which are equivalent to an 18 radius curve. I use all numbered turnout's without the frogs being powered and have no problem's running small loco's such as my 0-6-0. Some have had issues with these where the gear box belly was dragging the frog and stopping the engine. A little bit of filing will cure this problem. Make sure this is not happening to you.
The turnouts with a decoder  are packaged with no controller and the non decoder have a controller which can be seen through the blister packaging as stated by the Administrator on your other post in On30.
You will need a separate power pack to operate the analog turnout's.

Jerry