News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Possible Repair

Started by gregw66, March 13, 2013, 05:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregw66

I just dug out an old Bachmann 44 tonner that I had stored years ago. It is an undecorated unit and I am planning on painting it. I ran it on the test track and it runs poorly. At high speed it is ok but kind of lopes along at a lower speed. There is a definite bind in the mechanism. I suspect a cracked gear as there is also a ticking sound. It is an older two motor setup unit. My question is, will Bachmann repair/replace this and will it cost me anything other than shipping it back. Is there an assurance I will get the same undecorated unit back?

GregW

richg

Sounds like a split gear. Happened to me about three years ago.

Go to the Bachmann Parts page and follow instructions for returning it. I was sent a single motor DCC ready 44 tonner. A much better running loco.

For some reason, many who come here never check out the complete site. Bachmann has a lot of good info.  You can even see the 444 tonner diagram.

Bucksco

There is a service fee if the loco is over 1 year old. Also, the newer mechanism may not fit the older body. Best to contact the service department.

gregw66

I could not find a link to contact the service dept. Do you know of an email address?

boomer44

I have two first run twin motor 44 tonner's. I bought a new one for the DCC On Board. Swapped the shells without a problem, just use the older screws for the older shell as they are different.

Gordon Spalty

richg

I returned a two motor with cracked gear about three years ago and received a single motor, DCC ready.

Rich