News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 4-8-8

Started by dankoesterman, March 23, 2013, 10:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dankoesterman

I picked up a Bachmann Overland 4-8-4 at a flea market as is. so it was no surprise that it did not run, I plan on sending it in for repair.

My ?  is if requested, could they make it DCC ready with a quick plug.

Thanks for any comments.

dankoesterman

the Bach-man

Dear Dank,
First things first. I assume you know that your purchase is not covered by warranty. They may be able to fix it, but there will be a charge.
As far as modifying a loco for DCC, that is not a service we perform.  There are many DCC installers; you will have to contact one.
Good luck!
the Bach-man

Doneldon

Dan-

Since your loco isn't covered by a warranty (applies only on a new purchase from an authorized retailer), you might want to try to repair it and add a decoder yourself. That would save you a delay in getting your loco operational, as well as a good sum of money. Paying for a repair and a decoder install on a used Bachmann 4-8-4 isn't very good economics. You will probably pay as much for a decoder as you paid for the loco, more if you're including sound, and the labor could easily be another $50-75.

Let us know what your problem is (motor runs but loco doesn't move, everything is dead, it shorts out, etc.) and we'll see if we can advise you what to do.

-- D

dankoesterman

It seems that the motor is burnt out it will not run at all and the lights will not work,

I think i could just replace the motor and all would be well.

richg

Quote from: dankoesterman on March 24, 2013, 10:19:37 AM
It seems that the motor is burnt out it will not run at all and the lights will not work,

I think i could just replace the motor and all would be well.

Thinking and knowing are two different things.

Take the shell off. Get your ohm meter out and do a continuity check.
It could be the pickups, poor electrical connections. Maybe a jammed gear, dirty gears, dry grease.
Does the loco have the pancake motor?
Open it up and take a picture. Post the picture here. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Compare what the motor looks like to the 4-8-4 in the Bachmann diagram page. HO Seeker has photos of what the loco looks like that has the old pancake motor. Those motors are really not very good.

Rich