News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Convert Bachman GS4 Warbaby to DCC

Started by lwformosa, March 25, 2013, 11:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwformosa

I have an older Bachman GS4 Warbaby and would like to convert it to DCC, what is the best way to do this ?

Doneldon

lw-

I don't know what constitutes "older" so it's a little hard to be helpful. I'll assume you mean one of the Bachmann Plus 4-8-4s as there are a lot of them around. You can find walk throughs on this web site which will tell you what to do. But first you need to determine if the conversion is worth your effort. There are a couple of steps in that assessment.

First, inspect your model to see if its condition warrants the conversion. Is it mechanically sound? Is there life left in the model? Are the tires or gears seriously worn? Is the motor a modern can motor? What about the cosmetic condition? Will you have to repair or add details? Does the loco need to be painted? What about the tender? Are electrical pick-ups and transmission reliable? Be aware that some locomotives just don't have enough left to justify the time and expense of a rebuild. If the unit will require extensive work it might be more economical to sell it on eBay and buy a model that doesn't require so much effort and cash. In many ways, model trains are like classic cars in this respect. You can pour money into them but what results will never sell for as much as you have in it. So ... instead of buying a beater to fix up, buy a car or model which someone else already fixed up. Now there are exceptions to this: If you really like the rehab process or the model has special meaning to you, it may be a great candidate for updating regardless of its condition.

Next, decide whether you are going for DCC only or DCC and sound. Then you can go to various decoder manufacturers' web sites to find one that meets your needs. Then it's time to reassess the project. Does the model justify the cost of the decoder, and how tough will the install be? Your Northern has plenty of room in its tender for a decoder and speaker, if you need it, but it won't be an easy install, a so-called drop-in install or a DCC ready model. If everything is still a go at this point, order the decoder and plan your work. Be sure that your decoder is compatible with lights, if any, and order the bulbs or LEDs so your decoder will operate them properly.

Good luck with your project and keep us up to date on how it's coming along. I hope I wasn't too much of a wet blanket.

-- D                

richg

Figure at least $50.00 to about $150 for decoder and speaker, depending on the brand.

Rich