News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Noisy 70 ton Switcher

Started by Lostbpys, March 27, 2013, 12:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lostbpys

Hi all, I have a Bachmann 70 ton switcher with factory DCC, its about 3 years old. I haven't used much at all but it has been noisy from the get go. Any ideas on how to quiet it down. I'm all ears, (pardon the pun).

Thanks

Lostboys

(Paul)

Kiwi42

HI
I have a friends PARAGON2 EMD Switcher that he was having trouble to run - I have been able to Lower the MAIN volume via CV133 from FACTORY SETTING of 128, now down to 85 and enter and now more pleasant to hear in a open room, would be very quiet in a EXPO area, more likely reset it to 128, but friend is more likely not taking to a EXPO

bfn kiwi42

richg

Quote from: Kiwi42 on March 27, 2013, 01:49:40 AM
HI
I have a friends PARAGON2 EMD Switcher that he was having trouble to run - I have been able to Lower the MAIN volume via CV133 from FACTORY SETTING of 128, now down to 85 and enter and now more pleasant to hear in a open room, would be very quiet in a EXPO area, more likely reset it to 128, but friend is more likely not taking to a EXPO

bfn kiwi42

You are attempting to hijack a thread.Your question has nothing to do with the question by the OP. This is a Bachmann forum.

Go to the below forum and sign up. Make sure you tell people what system you are using.

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/744.aspx

Rich

faraway

Ich have a bunch of them because I planned to model the Modesto and Empire but gave up due to the extreme noisy 70ton switcher.

First step is to replace the DCC decoder with a better one (I used Zimo MX630 from Austria). The best you can reach is about the level of noisy of a bad performing old Athearn blue box drive. The is no way to get up to the level of P2K or Kato or even Atlas.
The way how the drive is constructed prohibits a precise and quiet interaction of the components. The worm gear must have far to much play by design.
I did search the internet intense to find possible solutions or circumventions by replacing parts or the entire drive but had absolute no success. You will find a lot of complains about the noise but no technical solution.
Sorry for the unsatisfactory answer.... :(
Reinhard

hawaiiho

If this is a buzzing or humming sound. What kind of a system do you have?  Are it and you capable of CV programing? If so, adjusting the Start Voltage slightly on some Bachmann decoders will reduce or eliminate that hum.

VTBob

All of my DCC 70Tonners have been noisy. Run them without the shell & you'll see a massive difference. I'm trying to find a way to sound-deaden the shell.

Not much luck yet, but I've obtained some small 3m rubber adheisive that I'm going to coat the inside of the shell with to see if it helps any.

VTBob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

Doneldon

Zytx-

Your plan to coat the insides of your locomotives' shells is a good one.
I've used caulk for the same puropose and it works well. Just make sure
that the material you use is compatible with plastic.

-- D

faraway

It is helpful to reduce the rattle of the shell. I did glue the weight inside the top of the long hood and glued extra lead under the roof. I did also glue the cab and the hood together into one pice.

Another topic are the trucks. You should completely disassemble them, put some light grease on the axle of the tooth wheels and assemble them very carefully. The plastic is very soft and you should not turn the screws to tight.

However, do not expect to get another Bachmann drive like they are found in the 45ton switcher.... :(
Reinhard