News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann HO 2-8-0 Santa Fe steam...#51311

Started by cbuchh48, April 01, 2013, 07:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbuchh48

I finally got time today (I bought it 2 weeks ago) to put some track together for her maiden voyage. After about eight runs around the track it started derailing. I noticed the middle 2 axles no longer have any side movement like they did in the begining. If I let it be for a while they would loosen up a little and it would stay on the track for a round or two. It's like they get hot and want to freeze up.

Anyone know of this problem and if there's an easy fix?

Thanks

Doneldon

cb-

Wow! I never would have thought that things are made to such close tolerances that they can start to seize from running. That's true for big stuff like cars, but model trains? Wow! (again)

Assuming your diagnosis is correct, and I have no reason to doubt you, I suggest cleaning out any existing lubrication and then re-oiling it with a tiny bit of new oil. Then run it a while and see if it helps. Incidentally, this should also solve the other possibility for your problem: old lubrication which gums up the works when it gets warm and sticky.

Let us know how things turn out.
                                                      -- D

jonathan

Like Doneldon said, your symptom is one I've never heard of.  That being said...

Sometimes, the cover plate, that holds in the wheel assembly can be overtightened at the factory.  I have seen this on other Bachmann steamers in the past, but not on a 2-8-0.  You might try just a tiny amount of loosening on the screws which hold the cover plate.

One other thing:  make sure the bronze pick up brushes are not bent incorrectly.  It could be possible one brush is getting caught up in the wheel spokes.  Thereby not letting the drivers move side-to-side.

Regards,

Jonathan

cbuchh48

Well, I did as suggested and at first it didn't seem to make a difference. It would like lurch forward and stop.  Then I got frustrated  ::) and set the throttle at full speed and switched between forward and reverse (running on DC). After 5 or 6 times of this it took off and hasn't stopped. It acted like something was bound up, but is working fine now.

Thanks for the help guys! I'm just starting to get into model railroading and this is my first locomotive.

ebtnut

My guess would be that there was some sort of burr in one of the side rod holes or on one of the crankpin screws.  Running it as you did broke the burr off, and smoothed out the ops. 

Doneldon

Quote from: cbuchh48 on April 02, 2013, 10:58:43 AM
set the throttle at full speed and switched between forward and reverse (running on DC). After 5 or 6 times of this it took off and hasn't stopped.

cb-

It hasn't stopped? Did you try turning off the power?

-- D