News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Baldwin HO 2-8-0

Started by Rod in PA, March 26, 2013, 11:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi Rod,

I believe there is only one 2-8-0 model.  I got Bachmann standard line 51306 Western Maryland Fireball #766 DCC no sound and gave it sound by swapping the tender top onto the DCC Tsunami tender chassis from Spectrum 84509 MEC #507 and it fitted and works perfectly.  The loco models are identical apart from the Tsunami, and that I had to swap tender chassis because 51306 had the old style tender floor, not perforated for sound. 

I think, but am not sure, that 51307 WM #760 and subsequent DCC without sound Connies may have the new perforated tender floor.  I am not sure because I have not got my #760 yet. 

I would guess that Bachmann would use up all the un-perforated chassis before going onto the perforated ones.  I cannot think they maintain both in production – but who knows?  You don't have to take the tender top off to see the holes, just look at the underside.

Hope this helps,
Bill.

Searsport

Correction to my previous note.  I have found that there was an earlier Bachmann 2-8-0, which was quite different. It looks toy-like compared to the present Connie.  It had smoke, an arched cab window, and a short tender. An example was Bachmann Classic Collectors Series #41-530-11, Great Northern #1257, and it says on the box "HO Scale Replica of Americas Heaviest Consolidation and Tender".   The box art shows Reading #2000, no idea what other roads there were, or the vintage of the model.  Info gleaned from ebay.

Bill.

ebtnut

That old 2-8-0 was modeled on the Reading's I-10 class locos.  The wide Wooten firebox gives it away.  These were not very good runners, coming from Bachmann's "toy" period.  The current Connie, once a Spectrum, is patterned on an Illinois Central loco but without the angular sand dome typical of many IC locos.