How to activate momentum control in EZ command

Started by Musicwerks, April 05, 2013, 11:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Musicwerks

Dear all,

I have the Bachmann EZ command. However, I am wondering how can one activate the momentum control as described in the EZ command videos?

Folks from other train forums tell me its CV nos...but how to activate in EZ command?

Kiong

bapguy

Accelaration is CV3,decelation is CV4. The higher the numer entered, the more momentum. How ever, the EZ command can not program CV's other than changing theaddress on the loco. One way to get around this is to use a computer interface such as a Digitrax PR3 and Decoder Pro. The PR3 needs a power supply to work. Decoder Pro is free. Joe

BRS Hobbies

Kiong,

The momentum control is already built into the E-Z Command and is always in operation without having to activate it. You should notice that when you try to stop a locomotive on the track that it continues to coast slightly which represents the weight of a real train and is referred to as momentum.

It also possible to adjust the momentum even further by changing the CV's of the decoder chip using a more advanced DCC system or another DCC device that has the ability to program CV's.

Best regards,
Brian

jward

brs be careful what you post. posting about things you don't understand can cause serious damage to somebody's equipment.

momentum settings are stored in the decoder as doneldon says. the only way to activate them is to program the decoder which the ez command cannot do.

simply put, the locomotive will run on whatever momentum settings have been programmed, regardless of which dcc controller you use.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe323

By chance is the loco in question a cheap DCC on board model?  If so I would change the decoder for a better one before I would mess with momentum control. The better decoders even say the ones in the sound value locos have more realistic momentum right out of the box.

BRS Hobbies

I know a lot about the Bachmann E-Z Command Control System which is advertised as having electric momentum. Here is how it is described in the Bachmann E-Z Command instruction manual - "When using the speed control knob to start and stop to your locomotive, your E-Z Command system allows your trains to operate with a realistic acceleration and coasting effect called Electric Momentum. Rather than starting or stopping abruptly, the engine will accelerate and slow more gradually, replicating the characteristics of a prototype locomotive and cars. Remember to plan carefully when slowing or stopping your train."

Best regards,
Brian

Joe323

Quote from: BRS Hobbies on May 07, 2013, 08:58:53 AM
I know a lot about the Bachmann E-Z Command Control System which is advertised as having electric momentum. Here is how it is described in the Bachmann E-Z Command instruction manual - "When using the speed control knob to start and stop to your locomotive, your E-Z Command system allows your trains to operate with a realistic acceleration and coasting effect called Electric Momentum. Rather than starting or stopping abruptly, the engine will accelerate and slow more gradually, replicating the characteristics of a prototype locomotive and cars. Remember to plan carefully when slowing or stopping your train."

Best regards,
Brian

But that was not my experience with Bachmanns cheap decoders only better ones.  Once I upgraded some of my locos I did have to plan my stops more carefully.  Its not the EZ command per se its the decoder that controls monentum at least thats my experience.  Thats all I am saying.

jward

joe you are right, the momentum is in the decoder not the command station, regardless of what the promotional literature says.  and even the dcc onboard locos have these momentum settings. in fact, I've found they run better with the momentum set to at least 3.

this is where at least a basic understanding of dcc comes in handy. there are plenty of dcc oriented websites online that cover the basics.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BRS Hobbies

You guys are correct. I found this on the FAQ for the E-Z Command DCC system which clears up the confusion.

"Does E-Z Command support electric momentum?
Yes. When you slow down or speed up your train quickly the decoder in the locomotive will use its built in momentum to control the speed change of the locomotive.  Acceleration and Deceleration are a function of parameters stored in the decoder.  Bachmann decoder equipped locomotives come with these parameters preset for best operations."

It would be possible for a DCC controller to have momentum built-in (as well as on the DCC decoder) which is the way it sounded like as advertised by Bachmann. But according to the answer on the FAQ, Bachmann is advertising the E-Z Command as having electric momentum but it is really a feature of only the DCC decoder.

Best regards,
Brian