How to resetFA-2 Decoder to out of box settings?

Started by rogertra, April 11, 2013, 04:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

The other day I accidentally reset the decoder in one of my FA-2.

Since then, it no longer operates like the others that I have.

I have reset ALL the CVs to the Configuration Variable Defaults as shown at : -

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM%20pages/bachmann/ho_fa2_sv.pdf

However, the loco that I reset still does not operate the same as it did out of the box.  FA-2 units out of the box "ramp up" before they move off and prime mover RPMs notch up as the unit runs faster.  The one where I accidentally reset the decoder and have reprogrammed as per the Configuration Variable Defaults provided by Soundtraxx doesn't do this.

As soon as the throttle is cracked, the unit begins to move.  There is no "ramping up" of the prime mover nor an increase in RPMs as the unit's speed increases.

Obviously, the Configuration Variable Defaults list is incomplete, anyone have any suggestions please?  I've asked on the Soundtraxx Yahoo Group and nobody there can help.

West Bound

Have you tried increasing the value of CV 3 ? If not, try increasing it to 75 or even 100. Just play around with the the number till you get what you like. What about your braking rate, CV 4? If the reset causes your engine to stop too fast, try setting CV 4 to 15 or so till you get what you like. Hope this solves your problem. - John

bapguy

Can you read CV's with your  DCC system? If so read the CV's from the loco that works:CV's 2,3,4,6,25,66,95. Compare these to the loco acting up. Enter these into the loco that was reset. try this to see if it helps. Joe

rogertra

Quote from: bapguy on April 11, 2013, 06:11:07 PM
Can you read CV's with your  DCC system? If so read the CV's from the loco that works:CV's 2,3,4,6,25,66,95. Compare these to the loco acting up. Enter these into the loco that was reset. try this to see if it helps. Joe

John and Bapguy.

I have an NCE Power Cab system.

I have read every single CV I can think of on the units that work and have set the CVs on the unit that doesn't match the others so that all CVs are identical on all units and the one I accidentally reset still doesn't have the same speed curve as the out of the box units.

bapguy

Did you do a total decoder rest? CV8= 8? If not try this. Remember reset the decoder, turn off power to the track, turn power back on. The headlights should flash showing the reser took effect. Another way to do it is reser the decoer, lift the loco off the track for a ew seconds, then put the loco back on the track.I sugest getting the NCE computer interface and down loading JMRI. This is a big help in programming CV's. Joe

rogertra

Quote from: bapguy on April 12, 2013, 10:21:53 AM
.I sugest getting the NCE computer interface and down loading JMRI. This is a big help in programming CV's. Joe

I tried what you suggested, no luck.

I have the NCE Interface on order and have downloaded JMRI.  Guess I'll wait for the Interface to arrive and download all the settings from a working unit and upload them to the one causing the problems.

Thanks.

West Bound

Roger, Increasing the value of CV3 didn't slow the acceleration? -John