News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spare tender?

Started by oldline1, April 08, 2013, 05:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldline1

I have a Mantua 0-6-0 with the slope back tender. I want to change that tender as I'm not fond of that style. I would really like a short Vanderbilt like the one that comes with the Bachmann USRA 0-6-0. Unfortunately, it isn't sold as a separate item. Does anyone have one of these they could part with?

Roger Huber
huber25@att.net

bapguy

Go to the parts section. Under HO Bachmann shows a complete Vanderbilt tender for the 0-6-0 for $25.00.Part # PN-3271-1 Joe

Doneldon

oldie-

If you are running DCC you may have to exchange the
insides the tenders because they aren't always the same
inside. This can be true even when they have the same
connector harnesses.
                                   -- D

Jerrys HO

oldline1

The USRA 0-6-0 tender has nothing in the tender. The decoder is set in the cab which has no wiring going to the tender. The only problem that may arise is how the tender attaches to the loco. The Bachmann 0-6-0 has a slot that hooks over the drawbar on the loco. If the Mantua is the same there should be no problem.

Jerry

Joe323

If this is the Tender I am thinking of you should be able to order it as stated above and it will fit.

Joe323

Correction If the hook up on the Mantua is the same as the bachmann it will fit Otherwise I suppose something could be rigged.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Mantua locomotives and tenders usually had a screw into each, into the bottom of the engine beneath the cab, and into the front of the tender. The screws fit through holes in each end of the drawbar.

It's fairly easy to swap Mantua tenders for a different look, but as far as I know Mantua never made a short Vanderbilt tender, only 12-wheel Vanderbilts for use with larger locomotives.

electrical whiz kid

I notice on E-bay that there are a lot of tenders for sale, especially under the brass section.
Rich C.

MarkInLA

Geesh ! Are we talkin' about that 1950s Mantua or Tyco 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 switcher with the slant back tender ! ? I have one collecting dust in a drawer under layout..I believe IT has that screw through what I believe is a heavy fiber board drawbar...and a wire from tender to motor..(not home right now )...!

Pacific Northern

You obvioiusly are not aware of what these brass tenders sell for or you would not have advised E-Bay Brass as a source.
Pacific Northern

electrical whiz kid

Pacific Northern;
To even the more uninitiated, brass is known first for its quality and second for its price; however, I have seen a pretty broad spectrum of price, and also have seen plastic tenders that would do justice to brass.  E-bay is a pretty good place to look to find what you might need.  Perhaps you should do your homework before making commentary
..Havea nice day.
Rich C.

Doneldon

PacNo-

Unlike the LHS and most on-line sellers, eBay prices are all over the map, depending largely on what's on sale today and who's on line to buy it. I've seen brass models at very reasonable prices and some plastic up in the stratosphere. The trick is to avoid shopping when you have a critical need that just won't wait. In that circumstance, the buyer is at the mercy of the sellers. If you can anticipate future needs and shop accordingly, there are real bargains to be found.

-- D

Pacific Northern

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on April 18, 2013, 09:58:16 AM
Pacific Northern;
To even the more uninitiated, brass is known first for its quality and second for its price; however, I have seen a pretty broad spectrum of price, and also have seen plastic tenders that would do justice to brass.  E-bay is a pretty good place to look to find what you might need.  Perhaps you should do your homework before making commentary
..Havea nice day.
Rich C.

If you read the OP the engine to be paired is a old Mantua 0-6-0. Not exactly the engine you would pair up with a brass tender. I looked on E-Bay as well and the prices between the brass and the plastic is extreme.
You should try to comprehend before you speak on any thing, otherwise you may not make sense.
Pacific Northern

BaltoOhioRRfan

Bachmann at one time released tenders seprately. I just got the medium vanderbuilt at a train shwo for $20 but saw others there for $40. so its going to be a hit or miss. my vanderbuilt is going behing a 4-6-0(had to shave down the coal bunker and make a new coal load but that was easier done then said...haha) also had to make a new draw bar but i took one from an old IHC tender and it worked perfectly.

If you got a local train show coming up keep an eye out there, or ebay. but they won;t be cheap as they are not produced anymore.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

electrical whiz kid

Pacno;\I don't give a hoot of it is a mantua, hobbyline, athearn, the old gray mare, etc; All I did was offer a tip.  I maintain my original response to you, thank you very much.
Rich C.