News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spare tender?

Started by oldline1, April 08, 2013, 05:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Quote from: oldline1 on April 08, 2013, 05:15:22 PM
I have a Mantua 0-6-0 with the slope back tender. I want to change that tender as I'm not fond of that style. I would really like a short Vanderbilt like the one that comes with the Bachmann USRA 0-6-0. Unfortunately, it isn't sold as a separate item. Does anyone have one of these they could part with?

Roger Huber
huber25@att.net

The below tender came from an old Bachmann 0-6-0. I gave the locos to someone here but kept the tenders. I have one left you can have for the cost of mailing. Needs some work, coupler, trucks.

Rich

jbrock27

Most of the time, I find good prices, luck, on Ebay.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Hi, Rich;
That looks like a pretty nice tender; oil as is, or some modification for coal consumption.  I think he might be happy.
Rich C.

electrical whiz kid

PS;
I don't know about the other guys, but doing stuff like that is what I call fun!!!
Rich C.

oldline1

richg,

You understood the original question! Yes, the tender you showed in your post is what I have been looking for. If you will send me your email I'd like to talk about it.

How do answers to questions get SO FAR OFF TRACK? It's amazing to me!

Of course it won't immediately connect to my Mantua 0-6-0! Other than brass imports I can't think of any two different manufacturers that will connect their tenders and engines to each other without some work. Even some brass imports won't do that! Of course if interbreeding equipment the wiring may not be right. Yes, I considered a brass tender but they were going too high on ebay the last few I saw. I'm not adverse to using a brass tender with the Mantua 0-6-0 but this is just a project to improve the looks of the engine as I really hate slope back tenders. I have 3 superdetailed, remotored Mantua 2-8-2s with NWSL brass N&W tenders and, yes, they took some work to make work. Not brain surgery by any means.
Roger Huber

Geared Steam

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on April 20, 2013, 05:05:17 PM
PS;
I don't know about the other guys, but doing stuff like that is what I call fun!!!
Rich C.

Whiz, I believe you gave excellent advice.  :)

Not sure what that other mess was about.....

richg

Quote from: oldline1 on April 08, 2013, 05:15:22 PM
I have a Mantua 0-6-0 with the slope back tender. I want to change that tender as I'm not fond of that style. I would really like a short Vanderbilt like the one that comes with the Bachmann USRA 0-6-0. Unfortunately, it isn't sold as a separate item. Does anyone have one of these they could part with?

Roger Huber
huber25@att.net

Below is what I did with a Mantua 0-6-0T and the tender I showed you. I had two tenders.  Cab forward, 2-6-0 with sound in the tender and a DZ125 in the loco. I first did the loco and sometime later thought about sound in the tender so two decoders.
It is based on a 4-4-0, cab forward, oil fired loco built around 1901.

Rich

rogertra

That cab forward 0-6-0T, is, err........... cute?  :)

richg

Quote from: rogertra on May 05, 2013, 10:24:52 AM

Based on this cab forward which was on of a kind.

http://nwprr.net/photo/albums/north-pacific-coast-engine-21

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richg on May 05, 2013, 11:06:28 AM
Quote from: rogertra on May 05, 2013, 10:24:52 AM

Based on this cab forward which was on of a kind.

http://nwprr.net/photo/albums/north-pacific-coast-engine-21

Rich

Very interesting Rich.  Never knew about that one, which shows you that you can learn something new everyday.  Thanks for posting.

Doneldon

Quote from: richg on May 05, 2013, 09:33:09 AM
Cab forward, 2-6-0 with sound in the tender and a DZ125 in the loco. I first did the loco and sometime later thought about sound in the tender so two decoders.
It is based on a 4-4-0, cab forward, oil fired loco built around 1901.

Rich-

I think the wheel arrangement code is still marked from the smokebox end of
the locomotive of a cab forward so your loco would really be an 0-6-2. Now
that's unique.
                           -- D

rogertra

I didn't notice the two wheeled leading truck.  Nice Cab forward 2-6-0 or Donald points out, is it?

However, the Italian State Railway "FS" had several cab forward locomotives, 4-6-0 types class 670, 671 and 672. The 670 to 672 class engines had a 3 axle tender, the nickname was "mucca" (cow). The engines (construction year 1902, top speed 110 km/h) were used to haul passenger trains on the east coast line.

So according to the Italians and most other descriptions, the front of the engine was the cab end. 

WoundedBear

Nice job on the cab forward Rich. That's the sort of creativity and modeling skill I like to see. Did you kit bash the cab, was it scratchbuilt or from another source?

I have always had a liking for cab forward designs, and this little one from Wiseman Model Service has always caught my eye.

http://www.locopainter.com/store/product.php?id=280

I need to contact them and find out if the model can be built as an HO standard gauge without too much difficulty.

Sid

Doneldon

Quote from: richg on May 05, 2013, 09:33:09 AM
I had two tenders.  Cab forward, 2-6-0 with sound in the tender and a DZ125 in the loco.Rich

Rich-

I was mistaken and I apologize for attempting to correct you. Cab forwards are notated the
same as conventional locomotives. I can't believe how long I believed the opposite, even when
I was young enough not to have a failing memory for an excuse!
                                                                                                  -- D