News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Future

Started by Balrog21, April 12, 2013, 05:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balrog21

I rarely get this excited about things I discover/stumble upon, BUT I ran across this just over an hour ago...now, if this does't set you brain on fire I don't think anything will. Of course there are good sides and there are bad sides, but the good out weights the bad by a long shot...I can see the future of model railroading going in this direction IF the manufacturers ARE smart. This is just a link to one page. Take a minut to browse at you own time. The best thing? These things on these page can be bought right now. Z, N, HO, On30 you name it and it can be done.
Enjoy!
B

http://www.shapeways.com/gallery/miniatures/model-trains?s=228

Jhanecker2

Congratulations ,you have discovered the world of  3-D  printing   which will allow the creation of products without the use of expensive equipment other than the specialized printer . This will become a game changer eventually but please remember that copy right & patent laws will still apply before you go on a buying spree . The price of the printers is coming down and eventually be reasonable   to own and use .  NASA  is  developing such printers to manufacture  parts in orbit .   Star Trek  replicators appear to be on their way.  Engineering companies and  architectural firms are using this equipment to make 3-D  models  and miniature  architectural models . The process also allows colors  to be added during construction. J2

jward

there already is a company called kit-o-mat which allows you to design your own buildings and submit them for production as laser cut wood kits. they will produce anything that you can provide them drawings for.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

As an avid reader of Railway Modelling magazine (when I can get it in the deep South), I have noticed several 3-D companies advertising their services in the U.K. This is an exciting new media that can only grow.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Balrog21

Yeah, Jh I knew about 3d printing for a while now, it's only now that I've seen it spread into the hobby world. It's great news for us that are always looking for the old obsure stuff from bought out or no longer produced lines.

Doneldon

Balrog-

I've seen projections that additive 3D printers will be priced so anyone can have one at home within five years. Given how quickly printers increased in number as prices fell off a cliff, I wonder if it will even take that long. Just look at plasma cutters. They were outrageously expensive ten years ago but I have a friend who ought one for under $3000 (new) seven years ago. That's amazing but fairly representative for today's technology.
                                                                                                                                   -- D

GG1onFordsDTandI

A couple of decent looking kits to assemble your own are running low as $300-600. I looked into better quality& size, and "store bought" into the $5000 range. The kits seem not to shabby on quality vs $ spent. Some printer model results appeared smoother than others, some appeared "textured"& "grainy"  even on the normally smooth "sheet metal" surfaces. If this grainy look can be overcome with ease(choice of print-head, plastic choices , even if its painted away with a filler primer. That overcome, Id be pretty much sold on a kit because of the more extendable x,y,z axis capabilities.  Most of the ready made ones print kind of small objects. Even in HO a really long car might not fit on the print bed of a lot of these. But overall I could live without the grainy look. Now if you want an idea for a variant for custom paint jobs, how about an x,y,z printer with a paint airbrush tips(or good ink) instead of plastic jets. A mini version of how your automobile is painted today for the body. Or with inkjet tek some pretty precise custom graphics stuff should be able to be accomplished, pinstripes, weathering, custom graffiti, road names of odd fallen flags, etc.   

Doneldon

GG1-

The manufacturers will get the texture problem solved before long. Take a look back at older inkjet
printing and then check out what they offer today with microdots and different sizes of dots. The 3D
printers will improve the same way.
                                                         -- D