News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Peter witt trolly

Started by pdleth, April 09, 2013, 12:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdleth

???Did the mta us the Peter Witt with the PCC my brother who sent pics  of the pccs and peter witt  he thinks it was a brill in stead of a petter witt, did brill make that kind of trolley  If it was a mta trolley will it be made in mta colors. Bostonians called them people eaters

ebtnut

It doesn't look like they used Peter Witts in Boston.  Here's a good photo gallery of Boston trolleys: http://www.davesrailpix.com/boston/htm/bvb066.htm

pdleth

My brother saw the bachman peter witt and sent me this, In essence they did have peter witts

Streetcars from Milan, Italy, built in 1928, were acquired by Muni for the extension of the service (now called the F Market & Wharves line) to Fisherman's Wharf. The cars are called "Peter Witt" cars because their design is based on one that Cleveland transit commissioner Peter Witt created for faster passenger boardings. The first "Peter Witt" cars entered service in about 1915. They were designed so that passengers would enter by the front doors and leave by the center doors. The conductor would be in the center of the car, and passengers did not have to pay until they left the car or went to the rear - the cars could provide faster service since they did not have to wait while passengers paid to get on board. Nine of the Milan cars are currently in service to Fisherman's Wharf, and others will be ready for service in the future.

It does look like the Boston cars were one of the early designs so you were correct. I don't know who constructed them though. But check this out: Brill was licenced to build the cars as were many other companies. check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Witt_streetcar
Jim

pdleth

Now that Boston did hae peter witts can we get a car letered for te mta

mabloodhound

So how is it that you reached that conclusion?   
The Wiki link clearly shows that the PW was NOT used in Boston!
The info you posted is for San Fransisco.

Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security