Trainmaster clicking noise

Started by Srcjo, July 29, 2013, 08:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Srcjo

I just picked up a WBB Trainmaster. When I run it forward it runs fine. When I run it in reverse
one of the trucks makes a clicking noise. It seams to run fine but it clicks.
I have disassembled it and add a little grease to the worm and gear also checked for any
thing that might be in the Gear box.
Any suggestions?

phillyreading

Have you lubed the side area where the axles go through the truck assembly?
Lube all areas of contact for the wheelsets, also lube the gears.

Are you sure the noise is coming from the truck assembly and not the inside of the cab? Sometimes an engine will make some noise until broken in, about ten hours of running time on the layout.

Lee F.

Srcjo

Thanks Lee I will double check it again. I was wondering how long a break in period was. I know its just a rule of thumb. Gives me an idea.
Thanks, Chris

phillyreading

Chris,

A break-in period is usually 10 to 12 hours of on track running, going forward or reverse, nuetral don't count for break-in time. So it can take a month or longer because most people only run their trains about 30 minutes at a time.

Have you lubed the center rail pick-up rollers as well? Very lightly at the end of each roller where it connects to the metal frame that it is in.

Lee F.

Srcjo

Lee, I cleaned the gear box out of the old grease and re lubed and reassembled the noisy truck.
Ran it for about 45 min strait in the direction it was making noise in.I have about 7 fright cars and a caboose. The loco is running very well without any clicking now.
I will do a video soon. I like to post to my YouTube.  If you like you can see them on my channel

SRCJO1481

Thanks Again Chris

phillyreading

Chris,

What model of Trainmaster is it?
Sounds more like a Williams reproduction series then a brand new by Bachmann.

With an FM Trainmaster by Williams, you should be able to pull at 15 freight cars or nine passenger cars with no problems.
I have three SD-45's that each one will pull quite a bit.
Had an S-2 steamer that would pull over 25 freight cars at one time, ran out of track or I would have added some more freight cars.

Basically what I am telling you is that the Trainmaster should be able to pull a lot of cars.

Lee F.

Srcjo

Lee, its a 21114. Oh im sure it will pull a lot more than what i have on it. i just wanted to put a load on it
to help it break in.
Thanks Chris :)