News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Ten Wheeler Problem

Started by MarkInLA, April 09, 2013, 08:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

Hi, sorry if I'd asked this in past. Not sure.: My Spectrum DCC/sound HO 4-6-0 runs quite good forward. But in reverse there is a noticeable jerkiness/hesitancy. It's like the way a rowboat goes fast when oars in water and slows as oars leave water affect. I've tried to counter balance this changing CV values in motor control, PWM, BEMF. Acel/decel levels, forward/reverse trim, ET AL. which doesn't correct it. I can't get the shell off to watch gears/shaft. Please tell me how to do this(Shell off). I can't get gearbox cover off as the Delrin brake rigging is in the way and don't know how to remove that either. I do notice wheels on the axle which has the worm/gear on it that it kind of swivels. I.E. looking at it from above or from under one can see each wheel moving forward and back in the frame...This leads me to think there might be binding in side or main rods.. But I can't actually see this as it rolls. Ironically, my non-Spectrum mogul runs near perfect..Suggestions welcomed
Mark

richg

My ten wheeler. I have the DCC ready and the DCC with on-board sound. How to remove the boiler.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php?action=profile;u=7826;sa=showPosts;start=15

The gear box/motor is completely enclosed within the frame halves.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H823-IS001.PDF

Rich

MarkInLA

Thanks Rick. You may have posted these a long time back for me..But problem is that even after screws are out I still can't get the boiler to budge. Should I just pull real hard ? Or are there other things up top such as the diagonal support bars from front of smoke box to pilot to be removed first ? If so, how ? I figure once motor and rest is exposed I might be able to locate some binding or other disfunction.
How does your 4-6-0 with sound run F&R ?
PS. Also broke off dynamo on Mogul..Is entire boiler purchase required ? It's not listed seperately in 2-6-0 parts list..
Mark

Doneldon

Mark-

You can find dynamos and all sorts of other detail parts in plastic and brass.

-- D

electrical whiz kid

If you want brass, go to Bowser and into Cal-scale heading in that company's listings.
Rich C.

richg

Quote from: MarkInLA on April 10, 2013, 07:00:15 PM
Thanks Rick. You may have posted these a long time back for me..But problem is that even after screws are out I still can't get the boiler to budge. Should I just pull real hard ? Or are there other things up top such as the diagonal support bars from front of smoke box to pilot to be removed first ? If so, how ? I figure once motor and rest is exposed I might be able to locate some binding or other disfunction.
How does your 4-6-0 with sound run F&R ?
PS. Also broke off dynamo on Mogul..Is entire boiler purchase required ? It's not listed seperately in 2-6-0 parts list..
Mark

The entire boiler is listed under the 4-6-0, not the 3-6-0.

My two ten wheelers run juts fine. The DCC ready has a Micro Tsunami. The other is a factory with Tsunami. The Micro has more CV's which makes fine tuning a little better but I do not count all the rivets.

As I recall, the boiler was a tight fit on the frame. Pry carefully and slowly. You cannot be ham handed.

Search Walther's for HO scale super detail parts. Dynamo.

Rich

richg

I only found one item under dynamo. Use generator in a search. There are some.
I learned years ago to always search Walther's.
It is not difficult to do if you do not require hand holding.

I have Cary, Cal Scale, Precision Scale catalogs but a lot of brass parts are not being made anymore but a few online shops might have old stock.
Also, check the Bowser website.
You might check Bitter Creek but I suspect they do not have a dynamo or generator. Only light fixtures.

Rich

RAM

Did you lose the part that broke off?

Doneldon

I found more than 20 HO steam engine dynamos from four manufacturers
listed under generator in Toys/trains/HO on eay.
                                                                           -- D

MarkInLA

Thanks for all the studious replies..I wasn't clear..I only broke off generator steam pipe on mogul (of course during mishandling it whilst lubing it upside down..)..So that's not something one can reattach even if you found it on the floor...Was thinking: drill tiny hole and push an angled stiff wire into.. Well, I guess  an entire new metal dynamo probably gets inserted in drilled hole anyway..probably easier to mount than stiff wire idea, huh ?

Doneldon

Quote from: MarkInLA on April 16, 2013, 07:34:12 PM
Thanks for all the studious replies..I wasn't clear..I only broke off generator steam pipe on mogul (of course during mishandling it whilst lubing it upside down..)..So that's not something one can reattach even if you found it on the floor...Was thinking: drill tiny hole and push an angled stiff wire into.. Well, I guess  an entire new metal dynamo probably gets inserted in drilled hole anyway..probably easier to mount than stiff wire idea, huh ?

Mark-

I'm not so sure that you can't use another piece of styrene glued to the top of your dynamo, especially if it will be on your layout and rarely handled. The wire stuck up from below will also work. A metal dynamo would more than likely be attached with a cast on pin into a hole on the top of the boiler. None of the installation options presents any real challenges. Just gluing a short piece of styrene to the existing dynamo is probably the easiest. Good luck!
                                                                                                                                                              -- D

MarkInLA

Rich, if you are still reading this thread, I guess my TEN is a factory Tsunami..Interesting, you are saying a non factory added decoder winds up to be better performer due to what now, an added on 'micro' decoder to a what, 'DCC ready' bought TEN ? I believe my problem is mechanical, not digital...No ?

richg

Quote from: MarkInLA on April 22, 2013, 08:55:46 PM
Rich, if you are still reading this thread, I guess my TEN is a factory Tsunami..Interesting, you are saying a non factory added decoder winds up to be better performer due to what now, an added on 'micro' decoder to a what, 'DCC ready' bought TEN ? I believe my problem is mechanical, not digital...No ?

My first 4-6-0 was the small driver version, DCC ready. I added the Micro and speaker.

The second was the high driver version with on board sound.

The standard and micro Tsunami have full features that the Bachmann on board do not have. Many of the differences are sound differences.

I know many call them high boiler and low boiler but the reality is the driver size which gives people the impression of low/high. The boilers are still the same height above the frame. Real low boiler where almost nested in the frame and you can see that with many old time locomotive photos. Bachmann used that high/low boiler thing a marketing tool.

Rich

MarkInLA

Thanks again for insight on topics...