News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GE 70 ton DCC on DC tight layout

Started by NevadaCityChris, March 27, 2013, 02:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevadaCityChris

Hi folks,
I have a really tight N gauge DC (old school DC power) layout I picked up at a thrift store. It is really fun. However, even though My EMD GP40 locomotive does "ok" on the micro-layout, it struggles with the 9-7"!  flex track turns on the inside route. I am thinking of the Bachmann GE70 ton switcher with DCC dual because it specs out OK for 7 inch curves.
Pretty sure the 70 ton model #82056 will work on my DC power because of the dual mode. Are the specs correct with the 7 inch radio us curves? It's the only loco I have seen with that recommended 7 in min radius. Just want to see if its correct.

NevadaCityChris

Well I got my GE 70 ton switcher. (Louisville and Nashville paint).
Two things,
1) the Bachmann DCC system is terrific. It is backward compatible to my old DC. Just but it on the track and it was running great in like 10 seconds.
2) I guess my suitcase sized layout has sharper turns than 7" because this good looking switcher derailed on the tightest curves. Will continue my search for a really tight radius loco.
Thanks for making good stuff Bachmann!

railtwister

Quote from: NevadaCityChris on March 27, 2013, 02:06:28 AM
Hi folks,
I have a really tight N gauge DC (old school DC power) layout I picked up at a thrift store. It is really fun. However, even though My EMD GP40 locomotive does "ok" on the micro-layout, it struggles with the 9-7"!  flex track turns on the inside route. I am thinking of the Bachmann GE70 ton switcher with DCC dual because it specs out OK for 7 inch curves.
Pretty sure the 70 ton model #82056 will work on my DC power because of the dual mode. Are the specs correct with the 7 inch radio us curves? It's the only loco I have seen with that recommended 7 in min radius. Just want to see if its correct.

Hi Chris,

I would be surprised if the 7 inch minimum radius quote isn't a typo. Other than some of the Kato and Tomix tracks intended for use with trams and streetcars, the smallest commonly available radius for N scale is usually 9-3/4", and a lot of the more modern larger locos with 6 axles can't negotiate that. Because of it's shorter length, I would expect the GE 44 tonner to be able handle a sharper curve than the 70 tonner.

Bill in FtL

skipgear

I know for a fact that the 44T will run on 6" radius track. The 70T is a similar if not the same mechanism as the 44T so I don't see 7" being a problem.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

NevadaCityChris

Will get a 44 ton on order and see if those tight curves can be tamed. The 70 Ton GE seems to be fairly limited on the side to side swivel of the 8 wheels drive.
I think that's what is causing the derailments.
That and the guy who built this layout bent the flex track into a pretzel. (grin) :)

skipgear

The 44t has run on this layout for hours straight at trainshows.

The layout is 17" x 44". The tight, inside radius on the right is 6", the left radius under the tunnel is 7".
Tony Hines

NevadaCityChris

Hi Skipgear,
Nice looking layout!
Looking at the photo closely, the loco's seem to be Steam. I am not able to zoom in effectively on the photo so I am guessing the Steam Loco is something like an 0-6-0?
Is that the 44 ton you are talking about?
I looked at the 44 ton switcher in the Bachmann catalog (Spectrum section, SKU 81853) and it is a diesel switcher, center cabin. Is that the 44T you used on your layout?
Sorry for the nagging. I just want to get on the same page and have a great little demo layout. As soon as I figure out the photo upload thing I will post my tiny layout.

Thanks for your time.
Chris

skipgear

No, that is a Bachmann 0-6-0. The picture was taken before the 44T was even a glimmer in Bachmanns eye.

The layout was built as a display layout for the shop I work at and had to fit in a glass display case, thus it's narrow size.

We pull it out and take it to trainshows when we go. When at the show, I use my personal 44T and a half dozzen hoppers to run around it very nicely. The 44T, Kato NW2, and 0-6-0 are about all that will run on it. Tried an Atlas GP15 and it wore out prematurely, same with a Bachmann H16-44. Nothing else can handle the tight radius.
Tony Hines

NevadaCityChris

Thanks for your help Skip
Well, the 44T does the same thing as the 70T.
There are two super tight turns and thats where they lose a wheel.
I will try to reset the offending radii to keep everything on track.
My short hopper cars have plenty of rotation of the trucks so they stay on the track.
Other wise I love those switchers. They are very smooth, quiet and just plain cool. The Bachmann standard DC controller runs those babies with no extra input from me. Sweet.
Will attempt to post a photo of this layout so you can possibly check out what appeared to me as a commercially pre built layout.

brokemoto

The 70 and 44 tonner both will stay on the track through the Kato UNITRAM turnouts and curves.  Those are 7,8 inches.  Maybe the extra point-8 inches is what the 70 tonner needs.  Sadly, both of the industrial diesels stall on the diamonds where the outer diverging crosses the inner main.  The plastic junctions are spaced just right so that the 70 tonner's wheels sit right on all four of them.  The 44 tonner stalls less frequently, but it will stall occasionally.  These locomotives stayed on the track pulling and pushing a MT outside braced wood boxcar and a FVM B&O waggontop boxcar.  The former has truck mounted couplers; the latter, body mounts.  Both are forty foot boxcars.  I posted my initial impressions of the Kato street trackage on therailwire.

The B-mann mogul will take the Kato street trackage with no trouble by itself or pushing/pulling either of the test boxcars.  Skipgear, have you tried the B-mann mogul on that pike?  If it will operate, perhaps Nevada City Chris could consider that, if he wants steam.

skipgear

Haven't tried the 2-6-0 yet. I think it would be OK but the pilot truck would be the deciding factor.

Chris,
  I think you have a kink in the track that is tighter than you think. My 44T doesn't even slow on the 6" inner radius so I think it has more room to go.
Tony Hines

Riptrack

The 70 tonner has a small foot print so it should navigate tight curves pretty easily ;D
If someone comes up to you and says,..."Smile....Your On Candid Camera!!"......You just got punked at your model railroad club!!

NevadaCityChris

Hi folks,
I received the 44 ton and compared it to the 70 tonner. The wheel base is nearly identical.
The locos run fine on the old school DC. The light even switches with the direction change!
Cool! Unfortunately the 8 wheel drive does not articulate a huge amount.
So, Pretty sure we have track issues. Don't really have a way to check the actual radii but it looks like I am dealling with some 5.5 to 6" radii.
Will see if I can reset the rails.
Thanks for the support guys.