News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Kit bash 0-6-0

Started by RGW, April 23, 2013, 03:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGW

I picked up a Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 and decided to change it. I shortened a a old  Atlas IB 0-8-0 boiler and am mounting it on the 0-6-0 frame also took a spare spectrum
tender floor and put the Atlas tender shell on it .I will post some pictures when I get it done. Largest 0-6-0 I ever seen, since the boiler was only  shortened between the stack and 1st dome the fire box is huge,but too hard to fix now.This is a fun engine to work on and has a lot of kit bashing potential.

By the way the tender was from a  spectrum 2-8-0 and had a plastic floor that  seemed  to be glued to the the shell, had to be cut it off,but is all wheel pick up with
needle point contacts. I thought all spectrum's had metal floors. 

skipgear

The first generation 2-8-0 tenders were a PITA to take apart. The floor was attached to the sides of the tender. The coal bunker and tender top lifted out of the top of the tender and sleeved all the way to the floor of the tender. I almost tore up my fist one trying to figure it out. You have to take both truck screws out, then push through the hole with something small enough to fit through it.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

RGW

I did tear it up, I cut the floor loose with a exato Knife, the floor is good to go with the new shell, but the Bachmann is good for the scrap pile. I needed some more scrap
for my gondolas any way.

RGW

I tried to post a photo ,but it is to big.