News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track figure 8

Started by eliese635, May 05, 2013, 06:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eliese635

i would like to assemble a figure-8 of EZ track as a  test/break-in track.  assuming 11.25" curves, i presume it needs 18 curve sections; & a 90degree crossing.  question:  how many straights (in addition to the short ones which come with the X-ing) of what length are needed to make it fit together?  elementary question, yes; but i have limited experience w/EZ track.  thank you for assistance.  this is to be a test/break-in track assembled when needed, not an actual layout. ([/flash]

Joe Satnik

Dear eliese635,

The straight lengths (to the center of the crossing diamond) on a 90 degree Figure-8 are the same as the radius.  (This doesn't work for crossings other than 90 degree.)

Problem is, you need to find the length of the crossing itself, to subtract half of its length from the radius, which will give you the straight length of one of the four legs.

James in Florida provides the length of the 90 degree crossing in this thread:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,11761.0.html

He also measured the length of the four small straights included with the crossing.

In the rest of the thread the straight track lengths for the four Figure-8 legs are calculated to be 10-11/16" each.  If you get within 1/4", it will probably work well.  

Hope this helps.  

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit:  Clarified the 10-11/16" sentence.   

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.