News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding DCC to Bachmann 4-8-4

Started by Jerry sr, May 09, 2013, 12:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry sr

I am purchasing the Bachman Overland Limited set for my son, Light & Smoke. Can DCC with sound be added to the 4-8-4 or will it only run conventional DC. And if DCC can be added which unit.
Thanks
Jerry sr

Doneldon

Jerry-

You can install DCC and sound in virtually any locomotive ever made so "Can I" isn't the question. It's better to think in terms of how big of a job is it or what will it cost or what will I have when I get done with the investment of time and money. And there's also the emotional attachment matter, but I'm guessing that isn't an issue for you since this is to be a new locomotive.

That said, this isn't a bad job if your set is of recent vintage. Bachmann has made the Overland for a long time and some of the earlier locomotives were a hassle to convert and not especially durable which made the conversion a bit of a crap shoot. However, the more recent 4-8-4s are significantly improved and I understand (I haven't done one myself) the conversion isn't too bad.

I can't give you a definitive answer since I haven't done one of these myself but you are certain to get some helpful responses here from people who have done them. If you haven't actually purchased your locomotive yet, be sure to check on line or on eBay for the best price. It's a fair assumption that most or all of the hobby shops have fairly recent stock on these. The Favorite Spot on eBay is a good seller with attractive prices. Good luck!
                                                                                                                                           -- D

richg

As Jerry said, it can probably be done but with no experience in this, read, very difficult. Including smoke, forget it. Messy for one thing. Quite a few have asked here about smoke and have been told, not realistic and messy.
Below is a link about DCC. Read in Curriculum. Look at some installs. A picture is worth a thousand words and you will see what is involved with a sound install. Some have done the Bachmann 4-8-4 but it is not plug and play. Search the General and HO forums.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

One or two companies sell a steamer with DCC and smoke but quite expensive.

The SoundTraxx site has a decoder selector. Go look.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/

Rich

Jerry sr

Thanks for the reply's, but still hasn't fully answered question.
Is it DCC friendly, DCC compatible or NON DCC compatible.

Jerry Sr

Jerrys HO

Jerry

QuoteBachmann has made the Overland for a long time and some of the earlier locomotives were a hassle to convert and not especially durable which made the conversion a bit of a crap shoot. However, the more recent 4-8-4s are significantly improved and I understand (I haven't done one myself) the conversion isn't too bad.

I believe Doneldon answered your question if it's compatible. As far as being DCC friendly, if you are talking about plug and play then your answer is no.
I, like Doneldon have not done a steamer yet (really don't plan on it either). For the price of new ones with sound installed from the factory I would rather go that route.
If you have experience with soldering you should be able to handle this. Most decoders have instructions.
I followed a thread on another forum and it seemed the new Overlands tender has a spot for the speaker already. You may have to open yours up and check. Sorry I can not find the link or I would have posted it for you.
Also have a multimeter handy.

Jerry

Doneldon

Jerry-

To clarify, I have done DCC installs in a number of locomotives, both steam and diesel. These include all levels from plug 'n play to start from ground zero. What I haven't done is a DCC install on a Bachmann Northern. That's why I could not be more specific in my first response to your question.

What I've found is that the design specifics of individual loco models greatly influence how hard or easy the DCC install is. Yes, plug 'n play (when it really is plug 'n play) is always easy once you get access to the model's interior, but the application of terms like plug 'n play, DCC ready and DCC friendly are not consistently applied by all manufacturers. So ... one company's DCC might pose a significant challenge while another's DCC friendly is almost like plug 'n play. In this regard, Bachmann is pretty consistent. DCC on board means the DCC decoder is installed and ready to operate. The same goes for sound on board. DCC ready means the locomotive has all of the preparation work (isolated motor, for example) completed so it's ready to connect the decoder. Generally, this means plug 'n play or nearly so.

One area where Bachmann is not always consistent is the use of colored wires. The NMRA has standards about what color wire serves which function inside the locomotive, as a way to simplify connecting decoders or any other electrical or electronic devices. Bachmann sometimes uses its own system for this, requiring a little checking to see which wire goes where rather than just looking for the black wire, the gray wire or the sky-blue-pink wire.

Keep watching your thread. Somebody will tell you exactly what you need to know. In the alternative, do a search here. Your question has been asked several times in the past so you should be able to find useful information already in the system.
                          -- D

richg

I really doubt the loco would be DCC ready. Bachmann does not sell a steamer that smokes and is DCC ready.
The smokers are DC only. Yes, they can be converted to DCC with some effort. The tender will need a speaker hole for a 28mm speaker. Six wires are needed between the loco and tender with two connectors. You can see that in the diagrams page.

Look at the different 4-8-4 diagrams page and you can see what is inside the loco and tender.

Exactly which 4-8-4 is in the set, I have no idea.
If you really want this et, also buy a steamer that comes with DCC sound. There are places online with very good prices.

Rich

Jerry sr

The set was the Overland Limited , nice set. I am getting set for my Grandson (typo Son), he liked it because of smoke & light. I was just curious if DCC with sound could be added. I run both HO & O gauge, my Grandson thinks O gauge is "Klunky", still trying to figure that one out. I have done 1 conversation to DCC  of a DCC friendly loco, wasn't that bad, the motor was isolated made job easier.  This one I willstill buy for Grandson, but will not pursue DCC , seems like with this loco not DCC compatible at all, unless Bachmann has redesigned engine.
Thanks again
JerrySr

richg

Quote from: Jerry sr on May 10, 2013, 10:50:29 AM
The set was the Overland Limited , nice set. I am getting set for my Grandson (typo Son), he liked it because of smoke & light. I was just curious if DCC with sound could be added. I run both HO & O gauge, my Grandson thinks O gauge is "Klunky", still trying to figure that one out. I have done 1 conversation to DCC  of a DCC friendly loco, wasn't that bad, the motor was isolated made job easier.  This one I willstill buy for Grandson, but will not pursue DCC , seems like with this loco not DCC compatible at all, unless Bachmann has redesigned engine.
Thanks again
JerrySr

Any Bachmann steamers I have seen have plastic wheels on the tender and no wires between the tender and loco. Usually the loco does everything. Some have asked here before about DCC and sound for smokers.

You can buy a Bachmann steamer with DCC and sound but you should have a DCC controller for using all the sound functions which I am sure you know.  They can be had for a little over $100.00 the last time I looked. They run on DC which I suspect you know.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richg on May 10, 2013, 01:52:05 PM

Any Bachmann steamers I have seen have plastic wheels on the tender and no wires between the tender and loco.

Rich.

What steam locos have you looked at?  The old "Botchman" line?  ;)

All my Spectrum kettles and the "new" Alco 2-6-0 have metal tender wheels and tender wheel pick ups and all require wiring betwixt engine and tender.